Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Coupon Strategies

Last post Thu, May 31 2012 9:41 PM by RobertaD. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 10:03 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Coupon Strategies

If people used to groan when we whipped out coupons before, now with eyes on the extreme couponers and the arguments of hoarding, I am sure there are even louder sighs. Perhaps fewer deals to be found as well as stores and manufacturers change their policies.

What are your strategies for making the most of coupons?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Filed under: ,
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 11:06 AM In reply to

Re: Coupon Strategies

Each week I check the CVS ad to see what is on sale that I use and have coupons for and then I go shopping. I use the rewards card and coupons together and give them any extra care bucks that I have. Last week between coupons, ECB, and reward card savings I spent $13.00 and saved $31.42. Not bad for about 15 minutes of my time. I always try to use coupons for items that I regularly buy and I try to match them up with sales or BOGO deals. Every little bit helps.
    Riley
  • Fri, May 25 2012 11:22 AM In reply to

• map578
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Oct 25 2011
    • Posts 462

I don't use nearly as many as I have in the past but I still coupon. Some of the coupons out of the paper are regional and lately I have been finding higher value coupons to print online.  I match them with sales using a coupon web site, it saves me a ton a time. I only buy what we will eat or use in a reasonable time period and I do not hoard. (nothing like 60 cake mixes loaded with bugs)

• Tue, May 29 2012 3:44 PM In reply to

My Mother was an saavy couponer. She dyed her hair "Dark Auburn". She would go from brand to brand depending on which company had a sale, coupon, and rebate. Every brand featured that color. We never paid for deodorant or toothpaste due to her couponing.

Back then we used to go to a store called "Rock Bottom." They went out of business (not our fault!) and since then I've used the same techniques at other stores. I currently go to CVS and Walgreens. They are right across from each other. Sometimes I go to just one, sometimes I go to both. Since I'm single, I only go there a few times per month and I buy mostly things like almonds, cereal, dish detergent, shampoo, hair dye, etc. I try not to hoard, but I do keep a small stockpile of things I use often.

I now use CouponMom.com and that saves me a lot of work. I file the coupons and just clip what I need when I need it. I don't like to pay retail if I can help it. I also use Online coupons.

I like to use coupons in combination with BOGO sales. I just got big cans of Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans for 85 cents per can using sales and coupons. That's my favorite baked beans and I eat it for lunch with a slice of toast. I get 6 servings from it. It's a nice "fast food" lunch.

I try not to use too many convenience foods, but I do use some. Couponing is one important technique I use to keep down my food bill.

• Thu, May 31 2012 9:41 PM In reply to

With so many stores cracking down on coupon usage you really have to know what each stores policy is and even print it out to have with you when you shop incase the cashier doesn't know it.  Some stores limit you to 2 like coupons will be doubled, no more than 4 like coupons, no more than 6 printed coupons per transaction, no multiple transactions, etc.

I shop the sales and store "cash back" programs at CVS, Walgreen, Rite Aid as well as two local grocery stores to get the best deal I can with sales, store rewards, manufacture coupons and store coupons.

Last week I was able to combine a store b2g1f sale with a manu coupon b1g1f for a 66% savings.

Roberta

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us