Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

How Many Kitchen Knives Are Needed?

Last post Tue, Mar 20 2012 1:44 PM by mtviolet. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Mar 18 2012 12:37 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

How Many Kitchen Knives Are Needed?

How many kitchen knives do you really need to prepare the foods you cook? How many do you actually have?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Sun, Mar 18 2012 12:54 PM In reply to

Re: How Many Kitchen Knives Are Needed?

Brandy:

How many kitchen knives do you really need to prepare the foods you cook? How many do you actually have?

I would say to prepare the foods I cook I would probably need 5 knives. How many I actually have is another story, lol. I have 2 knife blocks on my counter and probably a dozen more in the drawer.  There for a while every time my Mom came over she would complain about my knives. I had them for about 20 years but they weren't sharp enough for her so she started bringing me new knives when she would visit. She brought me 2 paring knives, 1 Barenthal butcher knife and 1 Heinkel for chopping herbs after I had bought a new set of Heinkels. I mainly use the paring knives, the Heinkel for chopping herbs and the serrated edged knife for slicing tomatoes and the bread knife.  Everyone of the knives are sharp and when Mom uses them now she always cuts herself. But she doesn't complain about my knives anymore.

Riley
  • Sun, Mar 18 2012 5:34 PM In reply to

Well, I use 2 all the time but I can make do with 1, the 6 inch steel chef's knife, as long as I've got a ceramic pot or a stone to sharpen it with.  The other knife I use all the time is an ancient steel paring knife.  I have about 12 kitchen knives (butcher knife, 2 bread knives, 6 inch serrated knife, big chinese cleaver, another paring knife...not as good, filet knife, etc).   In cultures where people have very little, one big knife is genearlly waht they have.  You can always cut a small item with a big knife, but try cutting a giant hubbard squash with a paring knife. 

• Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:47 PM In reply to

• Kate125
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 19 2012
    • Posts 27

For a very long time I only had a five inch Santoku knife and cheapo paring knife from ikea. I managed pretty well and the only problem I ran into was needing to slice things with a serrated edge - like tomatoes and bread. I added a new paring knife and a serrated bread knife to the collection about six months ago. So that brings the total to four knives. I would like to get good quality chefs knife in the near future so I wouldn't have to keep washing the santoku knife between each thing I chop.
  • Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:50 PM In reply to

I have three Sabatier carbon tool steel knives which are at least 30 years old. One is abou 8", another about 10", and a 31/2" paring knife. These are the best knives, all I need except a cheapie serrated bread knife.

I picked up some paring knives at WalMart, three to a pacakage. Surprisingly, they are extremely shap and have a good hand-feel to them.

• Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:06 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I have 3 chef knives and 2 good paring knives   I have 2 bread knives  and have a good filet knife   .. of course we have steak knives but I use my chef knife alot more than any other .

my Knives are Wusthoff . 

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Mar 19 2012 11:48 AM In reply to

I've got a lot of knives mostly those kit butcher block kind but 2 staple knives I am OCD about using/having out. I have my "Mr Do It All" basic steak like knife that isn't that big and most people would just use it at the table to cut their meat while eating it... and the other is my big old kahuna knife for cracking coconuts, winter squashes, large stuff, etc It would save me a lot of time if I invested in some good - quality - knives, maybe a set of three in different sizes to make chopping and prep a lot easier but I'm ocd about this one knife and always use it. I trust it and I think that's why I am so attached to it.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Mar 19 2012 12:10 PM In reply to

BB,

I had one of those big kahuna knives too until DH decided to chop up some cauliflower and wasn't watching what he was doing and took a big chunk out of his hand. I put the big kahuna knife away so he can't find it ever again. I don't even know what happened to it when we moved to our current home.

Riley
  • Mon, Mar 19 2012 12:16 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

I have 3 bigger knives I use regularly, 2 paring knives, and some random "steak" knives--8 knives total.  Used to have a lot more but freecycled those that I didn't use.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Mon, Mar 19 2012 11:40 PM In reply to

I have about 12 knives.  But the one that gets the most use is the 5" boning knif. I is a good general purpose cutting knife.  I also have a small carving knife for larger cutting jobs and a chef's knife tht gets a lot of use. A serated spatula sees use for cutting and serving cake and pie.

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us