Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Sante Fe Chicken

Last post Fri, Mar 16 2012 7:33 AM by BargainBinge. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 11:00 AM

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Sante Fe Chicken

Sante Fe chicken

24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
     14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
     15 oz can black beans
     8 oz frozen corn
     1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
     14.4 oz can chicken broth
     3 scallions, chopped
     1 tsp garlic powder
     1 tsp onion powder
     1 tsp cumin
     1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
     salt to taste

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning. Serve over rice

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 2:17 PM In reply to

Re: Sante Fe Chicken

This sounds delicious. You always have such good recipes.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 2:21 PM In reply to

Thanks Gayla, this gives me something new to try. I feel like I am in a cooking rut here lately so this will give the guys something new.
    Riley
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 3:44 PM In reply to

I make something very similar to this, except I cook and shred the chicken first, and then use the mixture to fill soft taco or burrito tortillas.
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 9:53 PM In reply to

I prefer this one in a sautee pan on the stove range... chicken seems to be more moist that way... I do it with dark/thigh meat... I've found the crock pot toughens things up if sitting too long in the juices.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Mar 15 2012 10:25 PM In reply to

gayla50:

Sante Fe chicken

24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
     14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
     15 oz can black beans
     8 oz frozen corn
     1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
     14.4 oz can chicken broth
     3 scallions, chopped
     1 tsp garlic powder
     1 tsp onion powder
     1 tsp cumin
     1 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste)
     salt to taste

Combine chicken broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. Adjust salt and seasoning. Serve over rice

yummie and thank you gayla good it can be made in the crock pot that is good.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Mar 16 2012 7:33 AM In reply to

What's great about this recipe is it's very versitale. Use it as is over ric and serve a side salad. Use it as a filling for tacos, burritos, enchiladas, fajitas or quesadillas, etc. Use it as a protein packed salad topper with fresh sliced avocados. Use it as part of a nice Mexican soup. You can use it and stretch it in so many ways, one big crock pot of this will last many different meals. It would freeze nicely too. This is a very handy freezer pull. Thanks for the share Gayla!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us