Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Frugal Birthdays?

Last post Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:55 PM by MarthaMFI. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 14 2012 6:27 AM

Frugal Birthdays?

Your best stratagies to FRUGALIZE (new word here?) birthday occassions, get togethers, parties and celebrations? small or large cowds, all ages, share your bargain birthday blasting!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Mar 14 2012 11:52 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

Re: Frugal Birthdays?

We've always kept things very small -- generally only close family celebrating. Homemade cake -- can't believe how much bakeries charge! My husband and I don't always give each other a gift -- it just depends on whether there's something we need around the birthday time or not. I've never been the kind to want fancy gifts so I'm happy with some glasses or a pan or even just a vegetable peeler, if it's something I need. As for my son, ever since his first birthday we've given him a single gift. On his first birthday this was just a box of 8 crayons, very affordable! As we've gotten out of debt and become more comfortable, we spend a little more -- but it's still just a single gift. (Same thing at the holidays. It keeps us all appreciative of what we have, I think!)

We don't do Chuck E Cheese/Zap Zone/bowling kind of parties with lots of kids, but rather let my son invite a close friend to our family celebration. 

I don't spend any money on gift wrap. I save gift bags (even the tissue inside!). One wonderful thing I've found to re-use for gift wrap is balloons -- if you get the mylar balloons as a gift, save them when they run out of air. Cut in half, along the seam, and you have wonderful gift-wrap! If you don't like the outside decoration or wording, you can always turn it around and use the silver side out. Save the ribbon too!

And BB, did I read on another thread that you have a special day coming up? Happy Birthday!  Party!!!

• Wed, Mar 14 2012 1:28 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:

Your best stratagies to FRUGALIZE (new word here?) birthday occassions, get togethers, parties and celebrations? small or large cowds, all ages, share your bargain birthday blasting!

We usually do all age parties with family and a few friends. Because my family lives an hour away we usually do some kind of lunch and then have a homemade cake. Sometimes we do them at the park or at our house just depends on the weather. We have done barbeques at the park or Papa Murphy pizza parties at the house. We have also had camp out slumber parties in the backyard, just depends on what the kids want to do. When we are doing bbq's my Mom will make her potato salad and my sister-in-law will usually bring a fruit salad. We try to help each other out and keep the costs down.

Riley
  • Wed, Mar 14 2012 2:13 PM In reply to

We keep things simple and low key. Just a Birthday meal at home with extended family invited. Homemade cake and Birthday person picks the meal. We also just buy one gift-usually in the $20-$25 range, although we have spent less when the boys were very young or for me if I just don't really want anything that costs money (I like the homemade coupons for things).

Birthdays are also a day off from chores at our house.

SS

• Wed, Mar 14 2012 2:25 PM In reply to

GREAT answers folks!

Mama, you are so kind! You are the first here to wish me a Happy Birthday! I feel special now, smile. Thank you, it's Friday, the big 30. Yikes!

This year I insist on no presents and no costy celebrations. We will be spending my birthday at a "puppy party"... My Mom's friend's friend curently has a few liters of German Shepherd puppies. They are about an hour away. We have arranged for the three of us to go visit them for a bit on Saturday when we celebrate my birthday. I own a German Shepherd dog and am a DIE HARD Shepherd fan so this is the best idea yet! I am very blessed to get this oppurtunity this year! Puppy love on the way! We are going to bring my wheelchair and pile em' one after another on my lap to hug and cuddle and love to pieces!!! I am excited. The only cost in this is gas to get there which isn't a problem and a big heart - which isn't a problem either, wink.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Mar 14 2012 4:25 PM In reply to

Backyard camp outs are a great idea. Another fun one is scavenger hunts! I like Mamma's idea to reuse balloons for wrapping - what a brilliant idea! Riley, the party potluck with family is also great and then one doesn't get stuck with all the food costs which can get up there depending on how many party pleasers are partaking, smile.

A DIY puppet booth/show for the kids is also nice and can be made with supplies at home.

Another thing I loved as a kid was the fishing hook game where you cast the fishing hook and line over something and behind it someone puts a prize on the hook and then you reel it back.

An art and craft table for all ages is always fun. Channel the inner child! Sidewalk chalk murals for your driveway! Costume themes!  I love all these even at middle age!

• Wed, Mar 14 2012 4:31 PM In reply to

When we did bbq's at the park we played baseball, volleyball, badmitton, horsehoes and water baloon fights. The kids loved it.
    Riley
  • Sat, Sep 15 2012 11:55 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

well we aren't too frugal but try!  ds party this year is cheaper..no goody bags..using craft kits that have been sitting around for a long time that were gifts for those that don't want to do the games at the taekwondo centre.  they are reasonable and I just bring decor and food.  some stuff like chips bought on sale and sitting around the house.

I always look for good deals so that is ds bday presents..went though the gift closet. my kids seem to always get stuff all the time so don't have the urge to spend $$$$ on them lol .   found a gift bag in the closet and went though the items.

we don't host dinners or parties much so tend to do it with the birthday hench the ordering of chinese food for the family.

start of the bday season for us so $$ out for months.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us