Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Beans, Beans, Beans

Last post 02-10-2014 4:36 PM by pmburk. 43 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (44 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-07-2012 4:05 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Beans, Beans, Beans

Beans are still fairly cheap when compared to other food options like meat. What are your favorite recipes for beans?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-07-2012 5:04 PM In reply to

Re: Beans, Beans, Beans

Minnestrone, which uses white beans!

• 03-07-2012 5:29 PM In reply to

Made with white (or navy) beans: white chicken chili, baked beans made from scratch, cowboy beans made with the leftover baked beans.

Black-eyed peas: Hoppin' John

All beans work in regular chili too.  And a pot of beans works just fine as a meal.  I have to add some sort of animal protein to them so they'll work for me, but many people don't.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • 03-07-2012 6:54 PM In reply to

LWolfT:

Minnestrone, which uses white beans!

My sisters deli its a big hit where we nabbed your recipe off the web blog and now its just call wolf's minastronit using the screen name only so yes your ninastroni is still good to this day.

• 03-07-2012 8:15 PM In reply to

Pinto beans and hamhock are my favorite way to eat beans. Leftover pintos become refried beans. White beans and ham are another favorite. White beans make a good white chicken chili. I use black beans and kidney beans in my chicken tortilla soup. White beans are also used in minestrone soup. 16 bean soup with smoked sausage , cubed chicken and diced tomatoes make a good soup. Garbanzo beans and garlic make hummus.

Riley
  • 03-07-2012 11:38 PM In reply to

cheapchic don't eat the beans I beg you sister to sister just back up to my car and give the free gass that is needed....

Crock pot of chili with hamburger and using both kidney beans and red type beans maybe the same bean heck I don't know you eat one bean you eat them all or had it all.

chrissanne
  • 03-08-2012 4:26 AM In reply to

Beans, legumes and peas are big over here.

My most common dishes to use them in include soups, Mexican dishes and salads.

My favorite beans to play with are black beans, garbonzo beans, Italian white beans, lima beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, fresh soybeans and green and pole beans - best when I can grow them.

Favorite legumes/peas... lentils, all peas but especially split peas and fresh English peas and sugar snap peas which make great snacks! I also recently got into black eyed peas too and am havng fun using them.

Black beans are currently the most common used here. Give them to me and I can find a delicious way to use them for any morning, day or night time meal! I also love the hearty 16 dry bean mix for slow cooker soups! White beans are great for Italian creations... and a mix of black, pinto, kidney and black eyed peas for my chilis. You can do SO much with beans. I love to play with them!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 03-08-2012 5:29 AM In reply to

Also, has anyone noticed that over time the price of dry beans went up some? Kroger/Foods Co bumped up the cost some... and other stores are even more.

Around here a good deal on dry beans would be 1 buck for a 1lb bag. You can find pintos and black beans for that cost. Others will be more expensive. You can find lentils and split peas for that price at discount stores when in stock. This is when I stock up.

Buying in massive bulk also reduces the cost and find dry beans at ethnic stores and dollar stores keeps things more frugal too.

How much are you all paying for your dry beans? and if you are buying in bulk - how many lbs at once and how much money per lb?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 03-08-2012 10:01 AM In reply to

I made this for day share...

Kidney Bean and Avocado Salad:

• Kidney beans
    • Fresh avocado
    • Hunks of whole roasted garlic
    • Fresh cilantro
    • Olive oil drizzle ... sea salt/fresh black pepper to taste

Serve cold, enjoy!

• 03-08-2012 1:02 PM In reply to

Our favorites:

Chilli

Bean & cheese burritos

Beans & rice

Bean & ham soup

Also use leftover beans as topping for baked potatoes

Page 1 of 5 (44 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us