Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Product review: Aldi Albacore Tuna

Last post Tue, Mar 6 2012 6:11 AM by BargainBinge. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:05 PM

Product review: Aldi Albacore Tuna

Regular canned tuna seems to have turned into some kind of mush. This includes Chicken of the Sea, Bumblebee and StarKist. So, I've been getting either Wal-Mart house brand, or Aldis brand albacore tuna. I am very satisfied with the Aldis. A 6-ounce, water-packed can costs less than $1.20.

It's called "Northern Catch".

It has beautiful, big flakes and a mild, tuna scent.

After years of experimenting with this mixture and that, a friend shared her tuna salad combination that works for me: tuna, mayonnaise, dill pickle and a little diced green onion.

And the finished product: (sorry, the light is a little too dark)

In conclusion: I highly recommend the Aldi albacore tuna, for the generous can size (when most have down-sized to 5 ounces or less), the very reasonable price and the superb taste. It's a very good value. 

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 10:02 PM In reply to

Re: Product review: Aldi Albacore Tuna

Hey BW, thanks for the great review. I know what you mean about the mush factor. We don't have an Aldi's here but tuna is rare at this house. I do like to keep some on hand though. I like to mix it with olive oil, garlic sea salt/fresh black peper, chopped red onion and chives and fresh garden grown herbs and stuff inside avocado or fresh heirloom tomato halves. Sometimes a kiss of lemon or lime and other times fresh diced celery or Persian cucumber! You're all set then! Do you buy other canned fish as well or just tuna?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Mar 5 2012 11:09 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:

Hey BW, thanks for the great review. I know what you mean about the mush factor. We don't have an Aldi's here but tuna is rare at this house. I do like to keep some on hand though. I like to mix it with olive oil, garlic sea salt/fresh black peper, chopped red onion and chives and fresh garden grown herbs and stuff inside avocado or fresh heirloom tomato halves. Sometimes a kiss of lemon or lime and other times fresh diced celery or Persian cucumber! You're all set then! Do you buy other canned fish as well or just tuna?

Your version sounds absolutely delicious! And how can you go wrong by throwing an avocado in the mix!

I've tried canned salmon, and I'm sorry to say, I do not like. But, sardines are a guilty pleasure. Big Smile I only eat them when I know I'm not going anywhere because of the strong, shall we say, 'bouquet'? LOL

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Tue, Mar 6 2012 12:48 AM In reply to

Price Chopper brand is good, too.

• Tue, Mar 6 2012 6:07 AM In reply to

Thanks BW. It's also delicious wrapped in large lettuce leaves but nothing beats a classic tuna sandwich like yours above too so come one come all. You know, I have purchases canned salmon and the taste wore on me fast. I don't know, it's just not the same. I have not tried sardines, most canned fish scares me LOL Tuna is okay though and on occassion salmon if I were to be mixing it to make salmon patties or something but I get a great deal on frozen fillets so like to use those. I also want to try smoked trout, I was referred to that one and still haven't... trader joe's sells it though. Have you ever tried smoked trout?
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Mar 6 2012 6:11 AM In reply to

Ps. The BW fan club says thank you again for continuing to gift us with glorious visuals. They are all lovely even if I was having a hard time viewing the raw chicken wings ones LOL Fish is easier if the head and tail are not in tack so tuna didn't rumble my tumble tummy lol Sensitive! I love seeing your cute plates and decor too. This little plate is adorable. Things like this make me smile, others may not notice or comment but how could I not - that white stove, that groovy kitchen mat, those cute plates and bowls, the fun side ingredients added, etc - they all count in smiles my dear.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us