Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

March Shopping and Meal Planning

Last post 03-26-2012 7:53 PM by babs. 77 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (78 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-01-2012 8:59 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

March Shopping and Meal Planning

I hope everyone stayed on budget and ate well in February!

Let's see how we do for March. Share your budget and then let's work on our deals and plans.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 03-01-2012 10:59 AM In reply to

Re: March Shopping and Meal Planning

I was a little over budget last month so I am trying to do better this month. I budget $400 a month for food and I will be going grocery shopping tomorrow. I know I need to pick up stuff for lunches, yogurt, juice, fruits, veggies, eggs, chicken and bacon. Hopefully it won't be too expensive.
    Riley
  • 03-01-2012 1:20 PM In reply to

Spent a little over $200 in February-right in my budget range ($200-$250), so am happy with that. Will budget the same for March, although I have some $$$ stashed in case I find a great deal where I need to stock up on something.

Have the meals planned through the Sunday, but will sit down over the week-end and plan the meals for the next month.

I have a good supply of meals/meal ingredients in my freezer, so will be buying mainly things such as milk, oranges, bananas, coffee and any staples or special deals.

• 03-01-2012 3:40 PM In reply to

I'm in.  I need to sit down this weekend and think this through.  I need review my budget and decide how to approach newly diagnosed food allergies (like I needed any more!).  I don't want expense to get out of hand and I have no idea where to start.  I definitely need to keep on track.  :)

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
  • 03-01-2012 4:56 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

My meal plan ideas:

Fried rice and egg rolls
    Chicken pot pie
    Chicken wraps
    Pork teriyaki on rice
    Pork teriyaki stir fry
    Baked garlic parmesan chicken
    Fried shrimp
    Grilled chicken
    Fried chicken

• 03-01-2012 6:59 PM In reply to

Cookies

rasins

oranges

boc choy

ramin

onions

grapes

nuts

m@m's

cashew to make trail gorpe type mix

dired cheery

cranberries

yeast to make some rolls

and thats it the rest mom gets

• 03-01-2012 10:53 PM In reply to

Happy March 1st everyone. This month I must budget better and use more tools to help me stay on a better tract with shopping and spending. I need to make some changes and make those changes a healthy habit. It's for the best.

I have been making a ton of vegetarian and vegan meals. My plan for March tis o continue this path. I'm finding it mentally harder to purchase chicken which is really the only other meat than turkey that I buy over here and then seafood but that's not a problem right now. Chicken, however, has been so I haven't bought it for the last week now. It's not mandatory either, maybe as a dinner dish calls (I only cook meat at dinner times to share) but other than that my lovely veggie meals are not getting complaints! and I am good with seafood dishes when menu planned.

I just shopped so I have a lot to work with. Menu planning depends on what produce I have to use up and what theme I'm going for. I am currently well stocked for Mexican and Asian meals/sides. I also have a  lot of dry beans/legumes to work with and whole multi-grain rice/grains. I would like to do more plain dishes with clean eating concepts and veggie bar/buffets where I serve a variety of veggies on their own instead of mixed together and then it's a build your own bowl style veggie feast instead of a one pot stop and drop. Entree salads are also on the line up, especially ones with fruit and fish or shrimp. I have salmon and shrimp to use this week if I chose and many great soups. March I will for sure do a French onion soup, it will be my first. I'm excited. I also want to serve more take your pick platters with lots of raw fruits and veggies... homemade dips...olives... etc.

March marks spring here and also spring clean eating so a continuation of fresh organic raw fruits and veggies, vegetarian dishes/meals, less meat and seafood as needed/menu planned. New ethnic meals on the line up as I browse recipes and get ideas. I recently discovered black beans and bananas and have fallen head over heels in love!

Furst week of March - based on current inventory and what's fresh and needs to be used up this first week:

Dishes that include: baby bok choy, mushrooms, green onions, garlic, cactus, tons of potatoes, assorted bell peppers, zucchini, fresh cilantro and basil, heirloom and beef steak tomatoes, avocados, thre kinds of zucchini, asparagus, green chili peppers, spinach, salad greens... tons of fresh fruit for snacking and dessert but ones that can be used in dinner meals - apples, pears, bananas... fresh English pea snacks... grapes.. mangoes... papaya... citrus... kiwi fruits... plums... crazy indoor farmer's market here. There is more but that's enough to list before I head spin.

By preference: hard boiled eggs, salmon, shrimp

Dry beans, legumes and whole grains - lots to chose from here

Fresh salsa... guacamole - I made the best garlic guacamole! and hummus... gourmet cheese as needed, olives. I need to restock some seaweed as I'm getting low.

My special slow cooker soups... Sundays are always creative quiche and slow cooker soup brunch and then super salads or take your pick platters for supper with leftover bulk slow cooker soup

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 03-02-2012 9:00 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    This month I must budget better and use more tools to help me stay on a better tract

BB, what are you normally spending per month on food?

• 03-02-2012 10:29 AM In reply to

plan to do better this month using up pantry and freezer items.  need to stop at safeway and pick up milk ..there is a 1.50 off a gallon jug coupon for safeway so will use that. coupon only good for the weekend.  don't really need any thing else. need to print out a email direct coupon for cheap cheese at safeway too.  tuesday will be cust appreciation day so will shop there.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 03-02-2012 11:03 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

My first trip of the month cost $120.39

Good deals-

$1.39 per pound of boneless skinless chicken breast
    $1 jarred pizza sauce
    .89 lettuce
    $1 per pound tomatoes
    $1 loafof bread
    $2 jar of peanut butter

Page 1 of 8 (78 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us