Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Home made expectorant/decongestant

Last post Sun, Feb 26 2012 9:16 PM by seaturtle. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:22 AM

Home made expectorant/decongestant

I am in the middle of a really nasty virus that's going around. What can I use to get the phlegm out of my lungs and sinuses?

• Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:32 AM In reply to

Re: Home made expectorant/decongestant

Hot water , honey and lemon juice.  Also Ribena which is a blackberry syrup drink - that loosens the phlegm.  Make it with boiling hot water and sip slowly.  Hope you feel better soon.  Sally.
  • Sat, Feb 25 2012 4:56 AM In reply to

neti pot or nasal flush with sea salt/water... hot facial steam and compress with eucalyptus oil - mint works well too ... raw onions... spicy peppers... hot tea with lemon and honey like sally suggested... rooting for you dear, praying faithfully

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Feb 25 2012 12:36 PM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

A long hot shower usually seems to clear me out. Wishing you all the best!

• Sat, Feb 25 2012 7:16 PM In reply to

Mint tea ... .   Sounds odd, but chewing peppermint gum can help too. Hang in there ... some nasty stuff going around this year.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Sat, Feb 25 2012 7:43 PM In reply to

pepper min tea and mint tea-also put face over the bathroom sink and make sure its 12 inch's above sink and inhale steam from really hot water ...good luck

• Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:24 PM In reply to

Mostly decongestant, but it really clears it out, if you can take the scent- Boil apple cider vinegar ( smells slightly better than white, and I usually have it ), turn off heat, use a towel over your head and inhale. It will feel weird in a thousand different ways, but it works. I also hydrate with extra water and herbal teas. If it is really bad, I'll drink pedialyte. Also, spicy soups! The spicier the better.
  • Sun, Feb 26 2012 7:02 PM In reply to

Spicy soups for SURE, especially good for healing in general but a must for this... Bring on some serious healing with spicy Thai and Mexican soups. Bring it on!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sun, Feb 26 2012 9:16 PM In reply to

Thanks, everyone!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us