Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Pie filling combinations.

Last post Sat, Feb 25 2012 4:48 PM by jillibean. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 3:22 PM

Pie filling combinations.

I want to bake a couple pies this weekend and this is what I have on hand:

fresh apples

canned pear slices

canned, sliced  peaches

frozen blueberries

frozen sweet, dark cherry halves

I have combined pear and apple with good success. . What about the others? Would you combine any with another?

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 3:41 PM In reply to

Re: Pie filling combinations.

Hey Budget, I nudged you quite a few times here to go to my baking help post if you had a chance and leave some feedback but never saw you there! Bummer! that's a blow! tisk tisk... I had wanted your specific feedback!

Def. would love cherries and blueberries together... and blueberries and peaches... pears and apples are a bit original but always doable... If I had to pick 1 vote though I'd say cherries and blueberries!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 4:03 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

MY ode to PIE;  My darling pie, how I miss your golden glow on my face, and your flaky crust that bought me such joy.  Your warm sugary taste with that burst of fruit fulfillment was a divine experience each and every time we came together.  Oh, my wonderful pie, we were sooo good for each other.

I knew your needs so well.  My knowing touch with each ingredient, no need for a recipe, no need for measuring devices, never overworking your dough,  I just knew how to bring you to the peak of perfection.  Oh my darling pie we have been apart far to long, separated by that nasty heart attack.  I miss you each day my beloved pie.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 4:04 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

I wouldn't combine the cherries and blueberries as this would not be pretty.  Not gonna say what it would look like.  Yuck.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 4:45 PM In reply to

grame:

I wouldn't combine the cherries and blueberries as this would not be pretty.  Not gonna say what it would look like.  Yuck.

First of all, I'm sorry you had a heart attack, but grateful you are here!!!

I agree, the cherries and blueberries don't sound too good.

UPDATE: my mistake. What I thought was a bag of cherries turned out to be strawberries. Embarrassed

BB what thread was your question in/on?

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 4:48 PM In reply to

grame, I'm nearly blushing over here just reading your fantasy.... ;-)

The peaches go wonderfully with the blueberries.  Flour the blueberries a bit and gently fold them into the peaches right before you turn it into the crust.

Pears and apples work, too.  You could add some cranberries for color and call it a 'Harvest Pie' like an expensive restaurant here does.  Otherwise put a teaspoon or so of lemon juice into the fruit to perk up the flavors a bit...Lzi.

• Fri, Feb 24 2012 5:03 PM In reply to

TizzyLizzy:

grame, I'm nearly blushing over here just reading your fantasy.... ;-)

The peaches go wonderfully with the blueberries.  Flour the blueberries a bit and gently fold them into the peaches right before you turn it into the crust.

Pears and apples work, too.  You could add some cranberries for color and call it a 'Harvest Pie' like an expensive restaurant here does.  Otherwise put a teaspoon or so of lemon juice into the fruit to perk up the flavors a bit...Lzi.

I really like cranberries and have some in the freezer. Also have some whole berry sauce. What kind would you use? Or do they have to be the dried ones?

budgetwise

• Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:04 PM In reply to

Cherries and blueberries, don't knock it until you have tried it - all I can say. The mix together is delicious and super sweet. If I am eating pie I could care less about what the inside looks like, it's not relevant as it's enclosed. Care about how the crust looks but the filling? not the top of my concern, let it runnest over like a cup for all I care when I crash into it lol If it's sweet and delicious then I'm game.No complaining. Cherries and blueberries for me, weee.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 10:35 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

pear and apple sound good!   peach and strawberry too but I don't like peach pie.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 11:31 PM In reply to

No, canned cranberry sauce won't work.  Use either dried or fresh - if using dried, heat them in some water in the microwave if they seem too tough...Liz.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us