Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

sour milk : (

Last post 03-26-2008 9:24 PM by Warren Davidson. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-09-2007 6:03 PM

sour milk : (

I got a free gallon of milk w purchase of three boxes of cereal (had coupons on the cereal, too: )  We don't use much milk, so now the last quart or so is turning sour. I hate to throw it out. I have just made some cinnamon biscuits, but that only used 2/3 cup. Is there some way to salvage/use it up without doing a marathon baking session?
  • 12-09-2007 6:14 PM In reply to

Re: sour milk : (

I had a gallon of whole milk go bad- for dinner tonight I used another 5 cups for a quadruple recipe of favorite pancakes from the old Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, the one that is a three ring binder. They are very good.  We have about 7 pancakes left for tomorrow, if I had more, I would freeze them.  We had them with my homemade apple syrup and appplsauce, homemade maple flavored syrup and brown sugar.  I am now thinking I'lll cook up my last apples this week.

We use a gallon of milk a day.

Tracy
    Beginning Debt Slayer

• 12-09-2007 7:04 PM In reply to

chamomile:

I got a free gallon of milk w purchase of three boxes of cereal (had coupons on the cereal, too: )  We don't use much milk, so now the last quart or so is turning sour. I hate to throw it out. I have just made some cinnamon biscuits, but that only used 2/3 cup. Is there some way to salvage/use it up without doing a marathon baking session?

Check out this web site for LOTS of recipes using sour milk:  http://www.cooks.com/rec/story/121/  I'd make pancakes or waffles with sour milk and have a stockpile of them in the freezer for quick breakfasts. 

1.  If you don't easily use a gallon of milk, divide it into user-friendly amounts and freeze it. 

2.  Make sure you store milk in the coldest part of your refrigerator, that's normally NOT the door.

3.  Make sure your refrigerator is 40° F or colder.  Warm refrigerators are a common cause of milk souring.

4.  Don't let your milk sit out at room temperature for any length of time.  The more often you do allow it to warm, the quicker it will sour.

5.  Don't mix a small portion of an old container of milk in with a new container.  That's a sure way for it to sour quickly.

~Gingerbread 

• 12-09-2007 7:42 PM In reply to

Thank you for the link, Gingerbread. In retrospect, that is exactly what I should have done - freeze some. I generally only buy a quart of milk a week and am reluctant to say how often some of even that goes to waste. There are only three of us, none of us likes milk to drink, we like yogurt w. cereal, I use dry milk for some cooking...so it just doesn't always get used up.

I'm going to make pancakes in the morning, before going shopping...if I make pancakes tonight, I'll eat pancakes tonight ; )

• 12-10-2007 7:05 AM In reply to

Tracy,

I've never owned that cookbook.  For an 'all purpose' cookbook, I do have Family Circle's cooking encyclopedia - found at Salvation Army. I made their buttermilk pancakes this morning . Still have a little sour milk left...am thinking an Irish soda bread with chopped dried apricots instead of raisins?

Most treasured recent cookbook find - a copy of Quick Vegetarian Pleasures, by Jeanne Lemlin. Got that for 49 cents at a thrift store and have been planning my dinner menus out of it for weeks. (best part is, is for sale at Border's for $24.99 : )

• 12-10-2007 10:02 AM In reply to

wouldn't milk thats gone bad upset your system? not that we have leftover milk!
    My Family's Interests
  • 12-10-2007 1:30 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

My Family's Interests:

wouldn't milk thats gone bad upset your system? not that we have leftover milk!

I would think that it wouldn't be good for you if it's very bad. Pasteurized milk doesn't really sour, it rots. When they kill the bad bacteria, they kill the good bacteria with it. Naturally soured milk is good for you, since it contains a lot of what is called now probiotics.

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-10-2007 4:20 PM In reply to

This isn't curdled or nasty, just not sweet. I wouldn't bother with it if it were truly spoiled...milk that no longer tastes sweet is fine for baking.

• 12-10-2007 9:15 PM In reply to

ohh

My Family's Interests
  • 12-15-2007 2:12 PM In reply to

How about using it in biscuits, I have seen a french bread recipe that called for soured milk, someone already said pancakes, I have a sugar cookie recipe that calls for sour milk.  If it hasn't soured enought to separate, you should be able to use it in almost any baked item.  How about scalloped or augratin potatoes.  Try one of the big recipe websites, and type sour milk in the search box, see what comes up.

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us