Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Wed. Feb 22 $$$$$ Stretching

Last post Wed, Feb 22 2012 11:07 PM by maziemom. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 8:04 AM

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Wed. Feb 22 $$$$$ Stretching

Good Morning, today is Ash Wednesday and George Washingtons birthday.  What are your plans to stretch your $$$$$ today? Please share with everyone, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 8:08 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Wed. Feb 22 $$$$$ Stretching

Moving slow this morning.  Our good friends Mom died last evening. Dh got a call around midnight to go to the nursing home to pray with the family.  She  had been sick for a long time with COPD so it is a blessing that it is over for her and family. Today, will be planning memorial service and time with them. I tis strange because DH and DS#1 were suppose to be away at a conference this week. They felt that they shouldnt go, no real reason . DH realized that it was meant for them to be here.  I have to work today. Not excited about it but no choice.  Snowed last night but it is already gone. I have food cooked for dinner. Need to go see my Mom at some point if possible . Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:34 AM In reply to

We had a lot of fun at Family Science Night.  And it was nice not to cook dinner!  We learned how to cut an index card to fit around our heads or body or even the length of your body if you're good enough to do it; how to make a balloon rocket; how to pull a piece of paper out from under a bottle without it tipping over; and a few other fun things.

Today is a quieter day.  We will try to make it to Ash Wednesday service at 7:00 p.m. tonight, but not for sure yet.  Dinner is breakfast; I need something different and we've not had a plain ol' dinner of bacon, eggs, and toast in a long while.

Tomorrow night is a GS meeting for DD and she needs to turn in the cookie money she has; we still have about 5 people who need to pick up their cookies & pay.  I have maybe 6 unsold boxes, so not bad!

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 11:23 AM In reply to

Today will be a real stretchy day since I have no plans to leave my house. I have a few things to get done here today...bathroom needs to be cleaned, change sheets on bed, wipe out window sills and water plants. I might give the dog a bath if it warms up like they are predicting.  All food will be from home. I need to figure out what to make for dinner tonight. The freezers are full and there are plenty of veggies in the fridge just need to come up with a plan.
    Riley
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 12:18 PM In reply to

DS age 5 had a dentist appointment this morning. Boy, was he not cooperative. 2 fillings done, 3 more to do. Next appointment in about 10 days. Dr. offered to cancel appointment and schedule at a surgery center...but he doesn't have privileges at the one in my health insurance network. I'm not paying $1000 out of pocket when my dnetal insurance covers fillings 80%. Enough ranting, LOL.

No money out today, brought breakfast and lunch will be leftover tacos. Dinner tonight, grilled chicken, potatoes, steamed veggies. May make own BBQ sauce if I have time. Church at 7:30. Not sure why so late! DD goes to bed at 8:00!

Need to talk to DH about budget for the rest of the month. I have about $35 cash but not much in checking until the 24th (or 26th depending on deposit) when our flex spending reimbursement hits. Hope that happens on Friday as my dad is coming and we are having family over to celebrate DH 40th birthday. I need some groceries, LOL. We'll make it work!

Take care everyone!

Erika
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 1:17 PM In reply to

Today should be stretchy. All food from home, if I can get that pot roast into the crockpot in the next 2 hours that is!! AND if I can avoid Starbucks..... I am SOOOO tempted but I am trying to just ignore that temptation. I need to bring my mom over for a while to get her laundry done and to just get her out of her assisted living place for a while. My oldest little guy has an eye doc appointment this afternoon, so we'll have that copay but other than that.... I am hoping to not have anything else to have to spend on. At this point, we are now $10 over the weekly budget (our weeks start on Friday at our house, so just one more day to go....) but with the $15 copay we'll be $25 over. We'll see how that goes. Next week I have to buy cat food (sooo expensive!!) and get the tags on the car so next week is tight already! It'll work out!
    SAHM to 2 toddlers and 2 cats! Happily married to my soul mate! How could life get any better!?!
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 1:56 PM In reply to

Hi oh had a good timelast night kicked the parents out of the hoouse me and the weenie dogs just sat on our big butts and watched t.v and had veggetable gumbo last night boy Im suffereing from it with heart burn today but it was worth every bite and yes blowing money today doing my number one no no (ciggerettes and mom needs to go to the market.

• Wed, Feb 22 2012 3:01 PM In reply to

mamasjob:

DS age 5 had a dentist appointment this morning. Boy, was he not cooperative. 2 fillings done, 3 more to do. Next appointment in about 10 days. Dr. offered to cancel appointment and schedule at a surgery center...but he doesn't have privileges at the one in my health insurance network. I'm not paying $1000 out of pocket when my dnetal insurance covers fillings 80%. Enough ranting, LOL.

No money out today, brought breakfast and lunch will be leftover tacos. Dinner tonight, grilled chicken, potatoes, steamed veggies. May make own BBQ sauce if I have time. Church at 7:30. Not sure why so late! DD goes to bed at 8:00!

Need to talk to DH about budget for the rest of the month. I have about $35 cash but not much in checking until the 24th (or 26th depending on deposit) when our flex spending reimbursement hits. Hope that happens on Friday as my dad is coming and we are having family over to celebrate DH 40th birthday. I need some groceries, LOL. We'll make it work!

Take care everyone!

My son had a lot of cavities when he was little so we found a pediatric dentist in our area that took our insurance. It sure made a difference with how my son did at the dentist. Our dentist had it set up so the kids could watch the Disney channel while they were sitting in the chair getting their exams and they could use laughing gas if it was needed. My son never cried once and he loved going to the dentist.
    Riley
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 4:18 PM In reply to

Been kinda busy for us the last week or so. DH found a great deal on a hotel/air package to Vegas a few months ago, and we went this past weekend. Last weekend was the annual trifecta for us - anniversary Friday, my birthday Saturday, DH's birthday Sunday. We had tickets to see Elton John last Friday night, but he cancelled because of food poisoning. My credit card got refunded today, pretty fast for Ticket Master.

This week is just as busy. We're both off today, the movers came to the old house to move out all the stuff we left there for staging. There wasn't a lot of stuff, but DH couldn't manage the furniture himself and I couldn't help him. After the movers were gone we did the final clean on the old house. The closing is tomorrow and by tomorrow night we will be down to one house again. Halleleujah. We'll use the proceeds to pay off the new house. Can't stand making mortgage payments (or any kind of payments, for that matter). Had to set a reminder for myself on my email calendar so I wouldn't forget it.

MIL is doing well in the assisted living facility. She likes it there and she's eating well. We need to go see her, but we've been too busy so far this week. We'll get there no later than Sunday, though.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Jill

• Wed, Feb 22 2012 8:14 PM In reply to

Cold today with a wicked wind but the sun is also out so it feels like spring!!!  Cheque day today so looked at all the flyers and made a couple of lists and hit the stores after lunch.  Thrifty's had a huge sale on and I got a lot of chicken drumsticks with $1 off stickers on the packages.  Most were in the $3.50-$3.70 range and there was 5 drumsticks in each package.  Also got ground beef on sale for $3. 00 a package, sausages were 20% off at the till and I also found a package of 12 that had a $2.00 off sticker on it.  I went to Thrifty's,Fairways and Walmart and spent $120.00 altogether.  I still have a few more items that I forgot to get and that come on sale on Friday.  I have worked out that I have enough meat/dinners for 32-34 days so should be able to last out until the next cheque day for main meals.  I will need more milk and fruit and salad before the middle of March but that is normal.  I just have to restrict my room mate's appetite - he has been told to eat buns from the freezer inbetween meals - and all will be well.  Salad each night with dinner will allow me to make smaller dinner meals and that makes the meat stuff go further too.  I am only cooking 2 drumsticks each when cooking them and we are only allowed 3 sausages each and the small pizzas I bought are to be cut in half and are 7inches in diameter.  Half of a pizza and mixed green salad should be just fine for a meal. Ice cream is going on sale on Friday for $3.00 per gallon/4 litre pail at Safeway, limit of 2. Got to get that for the freezer. I love getting deals, it makes me happy. Sally.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us