Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Deli Sandwich Sides?

Last post Wed, Feb 22 2012 11:10 PM by seaturtle. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 7:32 AM

Deli Sandwich Sides?

This post if for Sissy, our dedicated deli worker who loves creating fun new sandwiches and sides to go on their deli menu over there. I'd like to get some feedback here, I know she will appreciate it.

Let's say you order a sandwich at your favorite deli. What kind of sandwich do you order and what is your favorite side to go with it (even if you can't eat the whole sandwich, answer asi if you were having just enough sandwich to eat WITH a side included)??? Maybe your a soup or salad sider... a bag of chips or pretzels fan... fresh fruit salad... potato or macoroni salad... deviled eggs made fresh that day lover... raw veggie and dip friend... whatever it is, please share and don't forget to include what's in your sandwich so we know how you like to pair things!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 7:53 AM In reply to

Re: Deli Sandwich Sides?

My favorite side really depends on what kind of sandwich I will be enjoying. I love a killer good potato salad but am very picky... always love soup of course and nice green, fruit or cold pasta salads too. I am a huge fan of custom sandwiches and could be here alll day Sissy dear answering this post so let me stick to my all time favorite sandwich growing up. I would order smoked or peppered turkey with havarti cheese on dutch crunch with the works: lettuce, tomatoe, mayo, mustard, pickles on the side, lots of thin slied red onion please --- and additional cranberry sauce, avocado slices and pepporcini added. These would be massive and you were lucky if you could even finish half... generally it would be like half of a half. Back then I loved this sandwich with a bag of multi grain or french onion Sun Chips and if that wasn't bad enough - those who know me are going to laugh at this one - I would sneak in a cold can of Pepsi, regular or wild cherry, or super sugary Welch's strawberry or grape which would get me bouncing off the WALLS for hours. Yikes. Things are a bit different now for sure. LOL. It's funny for me to remember those days though... the things we do!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 8:12 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Deli sandwiches are called grinders here. DH loves Italian grinders and I like ham and cheese. Either American or provolone cheese for me. Chips would be the only side for us. Grinders here are hugs. One is at least two meals for me. DH should only eat half but eats the whole thing unless I cut it in half and hide half. lol, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:09 AM In reply to

Interesting name Babs, I have not heard of grinders! They sound big though, are they like sub sandwiches or what makes them special? and what kind of chips are your favorite to enjoy?

• Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:16 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Grinder are 2 inches long. You can buy a small 6 inch too. Barbq chips for me, plain for DH, Babs
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:44 AM In reply to

Babs lol you wrote they are 2 inches long. I believe you meant 12? foot long sandwich - they call them sub sandwiches over here... now I see how they compare to grinders!

• Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:32 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

we call them sub here at our house its either pickles, chips , or potatoes salad

when the kids I cut the sandwhich in several pieces and they like carrot and celery

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 11:33 AM In reply to

When I was a teenager my parents owned a bar and restaurant and we would make this sandwich as a special once a week.Oven roasted turkey breast, sliced jack cheese, alfalfa sprouts, sliced avocado, lettuce, tomato, mayo and cranberry sauce on a fresh bakery roll. The side I chose was always some chips. Now as adult my favorite sandwich is roast beef, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, and horseradish on a coissant with a side of fresh fruit.
    Riley
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 12:17 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

BB thats what happens too early in my morning , cant type. yeah 12 inches. Only place they are called subs here is one Subway shop, the chain one. It is in a Shell gas station. Werid. Babs
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 1:58 PM In reply to

Cole slaw side for me chips are out because of the salt intake I make a great blown up version of a cow.

Page 1 of 3 (25 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us