Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

When is my son responsible for his own college tuition?

Last post Tue, Feb 28 2012 3:53 AM by Cheryl. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 21 2012 7:56 PM

When is my son responsible for his own college tuition?

My oldest son is getting married in August and will be staring his junior year of college. i filled out the FAFSA form for this next term, and because we took money out of mutual funds to buy our home free and clear it comes across as income so between that and he himself made more income this year, it LOOKED like he doesnt qualify for a Pell Grant, which in the past has paid his college 100%. I explained this to him and he freaked. He said doesnt it make a difference that I'll have a wife by then (LOL) and I said no, not until the next year ...when I assumed that he would be responsible for filling out financial aid forms all by himself. If they look at his part time income and a dependent I am sure he will get Pell Grants again. I told him that he may just have to pay for some of the costs himself or find out from the college what else he qualifys for ...himself! That's what his academic and financial aid advisors are there for.

Next year he'll be a 20 year old married man in college. I shouldnt have to fill out the FAFSA then should I? They wouldnt need my income would they(govt.)?

By then i'll have son #2 getting ready for his freshman year of college.........

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Feb 21 2012 8:20 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: When is my son responsible for his own college tuition?

I don't know how it works in the US but if you are old enough to be married then you shouldn't be responsible for him.  and I don't see how the govt can look at his income as being with yours since he is getting married.   can't have your cake and eat it too lol  tough thing to learn growing up !

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Feb 21 2012 8:35 PM In reply to

No expert, but best I can tell,  if he's married next year when its time to file the FAFSA, then he can qualify as an independent student.   But since he's not married right now, it goes by your income....   he does need to talk to the financial aid folks at his school, ASAP.

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:03 PM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:

My oldest son is getting married in August and will be staring his junior year of college. i filled out the FAFSA form for this next term, and because we took money out of mutual funds to buy our home free and clear it comes across as income so between that and he himself made more income this year, it LOOKED like he doesnt qualify for a Pell Grant, which in the past has paid his college 100%. I explained this to him and he freaked. He said doesnt it make a difference that I'll have a wife by then (LOL) and I said no, not until the next year ...when I assumed that he would be responsible for filling out financial aid forms all by himself. If they look at his part time income and a dependent I am sure he will get Pell Grants again. I told him that he may just have to pay for some of the costs himself or find out from the college what else he qualifys for ...himself! That's what his academic and financial aid advisors are there for.

Next year he'll be a 20 year old married man in college. I shouldnt have to fill out the FAFSA then should I? They wouldnt need my income would they(govt.)?

By then i'll have son #2 getting ready for his freshman year of college.........

How about government grant money that sometimes you don't pay back he would have to work with them so many hours then pay it back that way. Just a thought or tell him to be a ginnie pig at some lab to get some money in no teasing here try the government grant see if he can get that.

• Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:20 PM In reply to

Wow getting married at 20???

That's very young in my opinion. If he is mature enough to get married he should be mature enough to pay his tutition. I agree with Martha. Who is paying for the wedding? I'm assuming you are helping out? That is more than enough... college and a wedding? that's a bank breaker. If he can't support himself he can't support his wife - relying on you for his on financial responsibilities like college does not show security. I'd make him pay from this point on. Edit - or at least help pitch in. Is he working? how does he plan to support his wife at age 20? I hope that isn't to nosy, I am just amazed they are getting married so young these days. I view marriage as a HUGE thing so that's why I get taken back.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Feb 21 2012 10:40 PM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 13 2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

LWolfT:

No expert, but best I can tell,  if he's married next year when its time to file the FAFSA, then he can qualify as an independent student.   But since he's not married right now, it goes by your income....   he does need to talk to the financial aid folks at his school, ASAP.

This is how I remember it from when I was in school (graduated in 04). For the FAFSA, the rules said I HAD to be counted as dependent on my parents until I was 21 (or maybe 22, can't remember) even though I didn't live with them and was almost completely independent by then. But that is a separate rant! I do think being married does change that and he'll count as independent, especially if you're not claiming him on your tax return. Definitely talk to the financial aid office at the school!
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 6:44 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

When is he responsible??  The second he decided he wanted to go to college.  Just my opinion for what ever that is worth ...
    Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 8:23 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Karen K:
    When is he responsible??  The second he decided he wanted to go to college.

I am of the opinion that the legal adult age is 18 and a person becomes responsible for themselves then. What a parent is willing to do to help their adult child through college or getting a start in an independent life is a personal choice.

The regulations regarding taxes and college funding is a different matter. Is there information at the college that can be gotten that answers this question?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Feb 22 2012 9:39 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Totally agree about after the wedding, but if you are claiming him as a dependant prior to that, I would think this might be an ethical issue.  If you claim him as your dependant then you are obligated to provide, you might want to figure taxes without him on there and give him the difference for school.  BUT, since he is old enough to get married, then let him take care of his responsibilities.

An Augest wedding?  Your August weather must be way different then ours!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:24 AM In reply to

I claimed him on my taxes this year but i told him next year I would not. Just that this year I still provided over half the year before he moved out on his own so i get to claim him. next year he can claim himself and his wife(who is also in college).

My question is the difference between the 1040 form and the FAFSA form. I know where I stand with the IRS, not sure what the deal is with the Student Aid form.

I dont see why I should have to fill out our income info for next year if I'm not claiming him as a dependent but what makes common sense to me does not apply to the government LOL.

I kinda knew this would happen but the cost (gamble) of not having his tuition 100% paid for versus having a home dh and I own free and clear....well hey, its my life y'know.Wink

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us