Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Alleged Extreme Couponing Fraud

Last post 02-22-2012 9:21 PM by babs. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-21-2012 10:46 AM

Alleged Extreme Couponing Fraud

Got this link to this blog article about someone doing coupon fraud on the show extreme couponing.   by using the family code on coupons eg general mills cereal coupon for one cereal for another because the coupon code was the same as another.  apparently stores are getting a software upgrade to fix the problem.  interesting read

http://www.jillcataldo.com/alleged-tlc-extreme-couponing-fraud

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 02-21-2012 11:05 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Alleged Extreme Couponing Fraud

Wow.

On the first shot of her coupons, it looks like the coupon is one of those where it has a list of other cereals you can buy even though only one is pictured. It's hard to tell though.

If you hear more on this, do share.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 02-21-2012 8:28 PM In reply to

I only know from what I read in the blog but if you look in the blog comments there is more links to others articles or blogs about people who have gone to jail or fined about stealing coupon inserts and don't seem to care that they are fined.  Apparently the lady too is banned from some of her local shops too.

Some of the comments were from people wondering why they can't do the same great deals but then are happy that they realize it is from cheating with coupons or the specials for the show.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 02-21-2012 10:00 PM In reply to

Aha. I wondered if some worked an angle.....
    Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 02-21-2012 10:06 PM In reply to

Cinnamonhuskies:
    Aha. I wondered if some worked an angle.....

yes there is I kinda know but don't know people can give them more coupons without the stores knowledge and flyers from the papper boy or other relitives neighbors or friends If I can save 8 dollars off then I have it made but to do this are you kidding I would need my chill pill along with riddline to stay awake cutting coupons all day long I think this is fraud and what a rip to the rest of us trying to make it.

• 02-21-2012 10:09 PM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-13-2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

Grocery manufacturers are watching this Extreme Couponing show in a HUGE way, and they also pay attention to message boards for couponers and freebie hunters. I have a tool at work that lets me type in a search term and it goes through just blog entries and comments to find what people are talking about... I just use it to find marketing opportunities, but other departments do use things like that to find scammers, so I think the really extreme couponers are ruining it for the rest of us who just want to save a few dollars here and there. Sad

Many big manufacturers are also planning to convert to coupons with holograms in them, so they can't be reproduced. http://www.retailwire.com/news-article/15819/cpgmatters-cpg-marketers-ready-to-roll-with-holograms

• 02-21-2012 10:11 PM In reply to

Thanks juana Im going to look at this and you also are right about this trying to get a few bucks off is hard work and this is nuts... Too bad eh.

• 02-22-2012 8:27 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Juana:
    I think the really extreme couponers are ruining it for the rest of us who just want to save a few dollars here and there. Sad

That is an entirely possible reality.

I used to get excited about saving a few cents on cereal, shampoo and sugar. I rarely get the ones I can use anymore and have stopped looking mostly.

I am not impressed by cases of canned rolls and boxed foods all bought with 40 coupons while on sale.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 02-22-2012 9:43 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

The only time I seem to get a coupon I can actually use, it comes with the same product and can be used for the next time I shop.  Use coupons so rarely that I don't think I will come up on anyone's radar.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 02-22-2012 9:54 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I use a lot of coupons some times I have multiples but I think I get great deals  like right now  I have cereal coupons for Grape Nuts . got $1 on every package .. I will buy about 4 and that will equal out to one being free . ( Grape nuts I use a a coating and have some casserole that use them .)  I like them good cereal  .

I have brought 20 or 30 packages of Pillsbury products at one time when we are doing certain dinners at the church it cuts down on some of the  work . . and I see nothing wrong with it .. I always count and am sure I have the proper product and number .

Extreme couponing is really hard on some people                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
Page 1 of 2 (14 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us