Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Chicken Strips

Last post Wed, Feb 29 2012 11:46 PM by BargainBinge. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 20 2012 6:49 PM

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Chicken Strips

CHICKEN STRIPS                                    .

Combine 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.

Season 1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into strips

with salt and pepper, then dip in 1 beaten egg, then cornflakes.

Cook chicken in 2 tbs oil in skillet until golden, then SERVE.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:27 PM In reply to

Re: Chicken Strips

Thanks gayla currie yum would be goodin this one too

chrissanne
  • Thu, Feb 23 2012 9:28 PM In reply to

Gayla when is your next cook book I like to order one if you do mailers this is a killer recipe

• Fri, Feb 24 2012 3:29 AM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Embarrassed   glad its liked

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 8:40 AM In reply to

We don't usually purchase corn flakes here as no one really cares for them as a cereal. I have made this recipe many times using italian style bread crumbs instead the the corn flakes. You can also add just a smidgen of ranch dressing mix to perk it up just a little more.

• Tue, Feb 28 2012 11:43 AM In reply to

I agree with swtnsassy about the corn flakes... why not just use ground corn used for polenta instead? much healthier...and if seasonings are needed use some dry herbs in the corn mix.. the closer we get the whole food the better, corn flakes are a stretched step away from whole corn... ground dried corn is much closer, healthier and tastier.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Feb 28 2012 1:01 PM In reply to

We don't eat corn flakes either so I use panko bread crumbs. The chicken comes out really crunchy this way. I also bake it in the oven to cut down on fat.
    Riley
  • Tue, Feb 28 2012 9:09 PM In reply to

Oven bake a must. Good choice Riley. Frying is horrible for the health and such a mess, can't stand the thought of it. I don't bread things and can't remember when I last did? but if I were to oven is the way to go and I would roll in a single whole food maybe with dry herbs but not a processed product, would ruin the entire dish for me to serve.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Feb 28 2012 9:31 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I think the corn flakes give it a crunchy coating more then breadcrumbs. it all works..crushed rice krispies would work too.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Feb 28 2012 9:34 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

I used to do this with shake and bake and bake them for easy chicken strips.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us