Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

traveling what paper work?

Last post Fri, Mar 2 2012 8:00 PM by Carlene. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 18 2012 8:18 AM

• Carlene
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 23 2011
    • Posts 14

traveling what paper work?

When you travel and are gone for long periods of time what kind of paper work do you take with you. I know insurance paper work but what about other if something happens to you on the road?

DH isn't in good health but we travel a lot because he loves it. I do too.

But if we were in an accident or something happened to him what would we need? Thanks for any info.

• Sat, Feb 18 2012 3:13 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: traveling what paper work?

Smething listing current meds and dosage and the name & number of your pharmacy.  Medical insurance cards.  Contact info for your primary.  Copy of medical durable power of attorney.

The most important item is update your cell phones.  Put in an ICE number.  Decide who will be your emergency contact person and enter their number and in place of a name to go with the number, type in ICE (In Case of Emergency);  Emergency personel will look for this in the event of a situation where you and your husband are not able to communicate.  Everyone should have this in their phones.  These people have no idea that the person you have labeled Sarah,  or Susie or Sandy is your daughter, so use ICE.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Sat, Feb 18 2012 3:14 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Names and phone numbers of people to contact in case you cant do it yourself, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Feb 20 2012 10:42 AM In reply to

• Carlene
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14

Thanks everyone. I've wondered if the ICE really works. I've wanted to talk to some EMT but haven't had the chance yet

Do most of the stuff you all mentioned but didn't think of the med durable POW.

Thanks again.

• Mon, Feb 20 2012 11:04 AM In reply to

Carlene:
    Thanks everyone. I've wondered if the ICE really works. I've wanted to talk to some EMT but haven't had the chance yet

Yes and no - look here http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

Per this article, ICE entries are more use to hospital personnel than EMTs - EMTs are too busy saving you to care about contact information.  Also, if you lock your cell phone to protect your personal data, they won't be able to get into it anyway.  It would be better to keep a list of emergency names and numbers in your wallet, near your ID.

• Mon, Feb 20 2012 12:09 PM In reply to

• Carlene
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 14

Thanks again and well will carry more paper work with us.

• Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:33 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 412

Good to have a picture ID somewhere. Recently one of our bloggers ("Live Like a Mensch") lost her wallet on a trip. Couldn't get through the TSA without a picture ID.
  • Fri, Feb 24 2012 12:05 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Good point about the picture ID. My state does not require a picture on drivers license. They are done by mail. To have a picure on your license you have to go to certain DMV's that have a camera and the machine to do it. I was in a minor accident in another state. The police couldnt believe that I didnt have a picture on my license. They even questioned if it was a real license. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Mon, Feb 27 2012 2:55 AM In reply to

I keep a list in a flap inside my suitcase of a couple emergency numbers. One to call if that suitcase is lost, another to call if I am injured (or worse).

I don't keep important papers in there in case it is lost, my identity info would be at risk.

In my car's glove compartment I keep another list of numbers. A tow service I trust, I know the owner and don't take that service through my insurance company.  Numbers for my insurance agent, etc in case I'm in an accident and my cell phone is damaged, I'll have a backup list of numbers.

Babs, regarding the no picture on your license. It would be a good idea to request from your state's DMV a letter stating it is not a requirement, that you can carry with you when you travel to other states.

• Mon, Feb 27 2012 8:54 AM In reply to

Tn? We dont have to have one and i got mine by mail.

katie
Page 1 of 2 (11 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us