Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

WARNING ON SENSITIVE CONTENT: Cloth Feminine Products

Last post Tue, Mar 20 2012 10:44 AM by MarthaMFI. 56 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 15 2012 7:58 PM

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 13 2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

WARNING ON SENSITIVE CONTENT: Cloth Feminine Products

I read a couple of discussions on "family cloths" so I think this topic is also allowed, but please let me know or delete this if it isn't! Smile

I'm interested cloth pads- does anyone have any recommendations on the best method for cleaning etc? I bought a couple from Etsy to try them out and the seller suggested spraying with hydrogen peroxide, but I've read SO many different methods it gets confusing. Also what is the most cost effective place to buy them? Making my own isn't really an option and at $5-10 each it seems like a big initial investment. 

• Wed, Feb 15 2012 8:21 PM In reply to

Re: Cloth Feminine Products

Juana, this is an old thread where some of your questions came up - BB oughta really love this one, lol....Liz

http://community.stretcher.com/forums/t/4801.aspx?PageIndex=1

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 12:09 AM In reply to

• ziggee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 18 2007
    • Posts 70

Hydrogen peroxide get's the blood out of the item and is used by health professionals to get blood out of their uniforms. If you are going to use bleach on them, you might want to run the rinse cycle twice to make sure you get all the bleach out.

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 6:08 AM In reply to

Juana:
    Also what is the most cost effective place to buy them? Making my own isn't really an option and at $5-10 each it seems like a big initial investment. 

Oldest DD bought some from Naturally Cozy - she said they were expensive, but she only bought a couple to use as patterns to make her own.  You might want to check it out. 

She has purchased several kinds - one brand has an insert that fits into the part that snaps around the crotch of panties, effectively "doubling" the coverage for heavy flow days.  She just soaks them in water, then Biz, before washing & it works fine for her.

They are pricey, but they last a long, long time.  DD says they are a lot more comfortable, too.

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 7:55 AM In reply to

A long time ago Hillbilly Housewife had patterns on their website
    Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 11:13 AM In reply to

Re: WARNING ON SENSITIVE CONTENT: Cloth Feminine Products

I've used these for years. I simply soak them in cold water right after use, and then launder normally. Even if a tiny stain is still visible, big deal--who's ever going to see it? Most of mine are over 15 years old now and, aside from being a bit faded, they're perfectly usable.
    My Ecofrugal Living blog: ecofrugality.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:00 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

http://lunapads.com/      There is also the diva cups too if you aren't that into pads.   I guess you have to break down cost per wearing over the long term.  You can use flannel diaper liners too.    I don't think they are that expensive to make but not my thing. just waiting for the whole business to be done and over with!! 

bleach and vinegar rinses would help with stains..I guess it no different then washing cloth diapers.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, Feb 16 2012 2:38 PM In reply to

Nothing wrong with cloth at least you can was it and comes out clean and they can be made I think its hillybillyhousewife.com that you can get a pattern on this and get this its made of cloth cheaper in the long run and you can throw them in the washer.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Feb 16 2012 3:16 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Link is to Homemade Sanitary Pads from the Hillbilly Housewife website: http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 8:12 PM In reply to

Martha i am waiting for it to be done and over with too! i think i have a few years ahead of me though.......drat.

When I had babies I used old washcloths for baby wipes. i rinsed in the flush of a toilet, and soaked in mild bleach solution until laundered.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 6 (57 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us