Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

What will you do if gas goes to 4 or 5 dollars per gallon or more?

Last post 02-29-2012 12:02 AM by cheapChic. 53 replies.
Page 1 of 6 (54 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2012 4:36 PM

What will you do if gas goes to 4 or 5 dollars per gallon or more?

I am hearing that gas really might go to over 4.00 per gallon and I am getting really worried about it. I can't imagine paying the 4-5 they are predicting. I am wondering how badly this will affect other people and what plans if any are you making to deal with it.

Hell hath no fury like a woman who has lost her coupons
  • 02-15-2012 4:44 PM In reply to

Re: What will you do if gas goes to 4 or 5 dollars per gallon or more?

I walk to work, ride my bike, or take the bus if the weather is bad. I realize this isn't an option for everyone, but for those who are able to do so, it can make a very big difference.

We'll combine errands, be less likely to take vacations where there's a lot of driving. Our cars are 12 and 13 years old so when we replace them, we'll obviously look for something with good gas mileage. (Hopefully our Prizm will live quite a while longer, as they've stopped making them. That's what I'd want again!) We've also considered getting a motorcycle for my husband to ride to work when the weather is good. That would definitely save on mileage.

We're living well below our means right now so it won't be a hardship, but I'll miss being able to tour the wineries in our state as frequently as we do now!

• 02-15-2012 4:57 PM In reply to

Last February 2 weeks after I bought my little Japanese 4cylinder car, gas went over $4.00 where I live. I was thankful I'd bought it in the nick of time.

I am already cutting back on driving although moving takes more gasoline back and forth and I'm not sure when that will be done. Dh's shop needs moved yet and he'll use the gas guzzling truck for it. But i wonder if it would be cheaper to rent a large UHaul truck for a day or two days rather than multiple trips with the pickup???

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 02-15-2012 5:54 PM In reply to

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 08-13-2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

I''ve started riding the bus to work- I've only been doing it for about a month but I estimate I've saved 2 or 3 tanks of gas at about $40-50 each. Plus car maintenance and the $75 per month I'm no longer paying for downtown parking.

Now I pay $54 per month for bus passes, and just drive a mile each way to a park & ride! I know it's not do-able in a lot of places and I had my doubts at first, but I've fefinitely converted to public transportation. Big Smile

I should add, since I moved here last June gas has hovered anywhere between about $3.25 and $4.25 per gallon- it's really unpredictable! Kroger fuel points do help a lot, especially around holidays and birthdays when you can buy gift cards there and get the points. 

• 02-15-2012 5:54 PM In reply to

4givennotperfect:

I am hearing that gas really might go to over 4.00 per gallon and I am getting really worried about it. I can't imagine paying the 4-5 they are predicting. I am wondering how badly this will affect other people and what plans if any are you making to deal with it.

My husband commutes to work everyday so we don't have a choice. I already combine errands to save money on gas so I don't know how much more we can do. We may have to park the truck that my son drives unless he finds a job and starts paying for his own gas. I know it will make our budget even tighter than it already is.

Riley
  • 02-15-2012 6:34 PM In reply to

Do like we always did go out 2 times a week only and get everything done in those two days I got one afgan done and a hat and scarf set ironing and hellof a lot of cooking stuffed the 2 freezers full.

• 02-15-2012 6:54 PM In reply to

I feel as if I'am doing everything I can do now like combining everything I can do. I heard on talk radio last night gas would probably be going for $5.00 per gallon I also look for everything else to rise in price even thrift shops.
  • 02-15-2012 7:11 PM In reply to

Our gas was at $4.10/gal last spring.The price went down so gradually, it had just gotten down to $3.49/gal less than a month ago. We already combine trips, but my husband has an 80 mile (round trip) commute to work.. Glad his car gets 39 mpg. I'll just be making less trips to see my family (100 miles away).

• 02-16-2012 7:44 AM In reply to

Up to 4 or 5 dollars? Lucky to anyone who is paying less than that... here in CA it's ABOVE 4 bucks a gallen and in the past has been more. It went down a little in price and now mid grade is around 4.15 per gallon and a 10 cents or so increase for high grade and 10 cents decrease for low grade...20 dollars gives me about a litle more than 1/4th a gallon with mid grade. Gas prices here are absolutely ridiculous. Anyone paying LESS than that is LUCKY.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 02-16-2012 9:50 AM In reply to

If I was told correctly, it's already $4 in Nashville. We don't drive much, but this definitely will affect my eventual retirement plans. Another cousin and spouse are giving up their country place and moving into town-he gave his truck and place to a grandbaby and bought a Focus: serious stuff for a macho mechanic. I'm looking at trikes again. Anyone know if the WalMart folding trike will make it up an Appalachian-size hill?
Page 1 of 6 (54 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us