Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Smart Choice Food Source

Last post Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:25 AM by brenl. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 14 2012 11:24 AM

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

Smart Choice Food Source

Smart Choice Food Source is the out fit that replace AFM. I have seen a few menu of theirs. They do remind me of AFM a lot. The closest one for me is 30 minutes away. I called and left a message. Hoping I get a call later today. If Smart Choice Food Source takes snap/food stamps I am thinking of trying them out. Has any one out there tried Smart Choice Food Source? Is there one close by? If you tried it what did you think?
  • Tue, Feb 14 2012 5:11 PM In reply to

Re: Smart Choice Food Source

brenl, thanks for posting this.  I checked their website (what ugly colors, whose idea was that??) and they deliver near me, which is very good.  But the menus sound identical to AFM, much more breaded meats and convenience items than we eat and with no produce package available.  Shoot! 

Let us all know if you order and what you think...Liz.

• Tue, Feb 14 2012 6:27 PM In reply to

• brenl
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 4 2008
    • Wayne county
    • Posts 2,426

It will be a while before I order. I have talked to a girl today from the place I would order from. They are working on getting snap/food stamps. Once they are able to take snap I will order and let every one know how it was.
  • Wed, Feb 15 2012 9:01 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Feb 15 2012 6:52 PM In reply to

On second thought, I've decided to try Smart Choice at least once or twice.  Dd26 came by yesterday and said her food stamps are not getting her thru the entire month (she's welcome to come here anytime and eat or glean, of course).  So we decided I'd order and pay for the box, take what few things we'd use, and give her the rest.  If there's still things in there that she doesn't eat, she'd pass it along to a friend. 

I'll let everyone know how it goes...Liz.

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 9:55 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

This program is not in my area but I I think I'd pass if it were. There are too many processed foods in that menu and not enough I'd want.

• Thu, Feb 16 2012 10:33 AM In reply to

I feel the same way, Brandy, but she eats differently than we do - for better or worse.  We'll see if it's worth it to her...I'll report back.  Liz.

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 9:03 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

TizzyLizzy:
    but she eats differently than we do

My daughter has a different diet than we do as well. It's her choice to make.

• Fri, Feb 17 2012 10:11 PM In reply to

Brandy, I agree with you about the food options..."Smart Choice" is not a proper name for the food choices they are offering...I got all excited to see a new program and then looked over the menu all pumped up with the name of the program, saw the food choices and was really disappointed. I am glad there are programs out there to help, I just wish they had more funding to support actual smart and healthy eating. For the price of that processed unhealthy box I could make my own at home shopping bargains/discounts. I understand not everyone has that access though. I hope this comes as a blessing to those who need it.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Sat, Feb 18 2012 10:39 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    I agree with you about the food options..."

I ordered Angel Food for sometime. I was very excited when they began offering more fresh food options and less that was highly processed. I rotated it in with things I purchased for a healthier overall menu.

I don't like the offerings of this one.

Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us