Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

sausage and cheese casserole

Last post Sat, Feb 18 2012 12:29 PM by mtviolet. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 12:33 PM

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

sausage and cheese casserole

Sausage and Cheese Casserole

This is a family favorite and I get asked for it over and over. 

1lb. Breakfast sausage

12 ozs. Of macaroni

1 can cheddar cheese soup

1/2 soup can of milk

1/8 tsp black pepper or to taste

Dry ground mustard

1 medium onion, chopped

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2-3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese

Cook noodles according to package directions and drain.

Crumble sausage and cook in frying pan until done...drain off grease..

You want it to be like crumbled hamburger meat. In large bowl,

dump hot noodles,  soup, spices, milk, onion, peppers and cooked sausage.

Mix together well and then add your grated cheese Put into a casserole dish

and cook uncovered at 350 for 30-45 minutes,

depending on how brown you want the top to be.

this will serve 4-6 very generous servings.

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 12:48 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: sausage and cheese casserole

Gayla, you are the temptress.   Would love to make this, especially on a cold, snowy day like today,  Would have to call my caridologists and see if he could come join us though - LOL

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 1:03 PM In reply to

Gayla this is just something i have been looking for.  Going to make it with homemade cheese soup mix,noodles, and sausage.  it will be my dish to take to a potluck this coming weekend!  I was wondering what to make for that, and you have saved the day!  thank you!
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 5:50 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Now that is an idea.  I can take this to prayer group (we love to eat afterward) and have a little and then let everyone else have some.  Which reminds me, is/has there been a thread for potluck recipes?  I two a month I attend.  One is with folks kinda fancy, and the other is with a group that just wants good, home cooking.

If there hasn't been a thread, would there be a need?

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 7:27 PM In reply to

Hummmm sounds good I think I copy this down and hog this recipe before cindy gets ahold of it and pig out city for me.

chrissanne
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 9:47 PM In reply to

too late sissy chic got it and its gonna be done in the morning for mom and she is gonna love this.

• Sat, Feb 18 2012 11:49 AM In reply to

• Elsi
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2009
    • TX, USA
    • Posts 503

Gayla, I make a recipe very much like this one except I use bread cubes instead of macaroni.  Often I'll make it up the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, then bake it in the morning.  Letting it sit for a while allows the bread to soak up the milk & soups.

• Sat, Feb 18 2012 12:29 PM In reply to

Gayla, I took this to the potluck last night, not even a smidge was left in the container to bring home.  I watched one man go back for thirds on this one!  Kids liked it too, since it reminded them of mac and cheese.   Definatly a keeper.  I used homemade cheddar soup, and homemade sausage.  Cheated and used store bought noodles.  Still turned out great!  Wishing I had kept a serving here at home so I could enjoy it today for lunch! 

It was easy to put together, and easy to take.  Put it in the oven to brown with other dishes that needed that last minute warming.  did have to triple the recipe, but still were no leftovers.  Thank you! 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us