Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

And it melted to the oven! HELP!

Last post Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:21 PM by Toughmama2. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 1:26 AM

• Toughmama2
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 7 2011
    • Southwest to be Northwest?
    • Posts 28

And it melted to the oven! HELP!

The other day I was baking something (don't remember what) in my oven. There was a funny smell but I put on the fan and forgot about it. As I was taking out whatever it was (still don't remember) my son comes along and gets to close to the open door. I barked at him to get out of the way when he says "Huh what's that doing in there?" I asked him what he was refering to and he pointed to the back of my oven.

Some how, and I have no freaking clue how, a plastic bowled metal handle ladle ended up in my oven. Having not seen it I was happily using my oven. And it melted to the oven!! Now I don't mean it melted a little itty bitty bit. I mean the plastic turned to sludge and melted not only to the rack but on to the bottom of the oven and the freaking heating element. And I have NO clue what to do to get it off there with out having to call my landlord and a repairman. Any suggestions are welcome. Please help.

`Aut inveniam viam aut faciam-

I will either find a way or I will make one.

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 5:15 PM In reply to

Re: And it melted to the oven! HELP!

Oh, no! I don't have any suggestions, but maybe someone will see this post after it gets bumped up and will have some ideas.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 5:34 PM In reply to

You might try heating the oven up to soften the melted plastic and then use a metal putty knife to scrape it off.
    Riley
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 6:21 PM In reply to

I have had a plastic spatula melt before, I let the oven get cold and a lot of it popped right off, then i had to warm it up just a little to get the rest off.  Hope your heating element will still work, those can get expensive to replace.  Good luck, and please let us know the results.
  • Mon, Feb 13 2012 7:26 PM In reply to

Holy cow wow what a smell that make I do what riley and voilet said thats the way to get it off.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Feb 16 2012 10:18 AM In reply to

Put some foil under it with a little salt on it to forestall a fire. Then heat up the oven and try to melt it off. If you use slow heat, it should not burn out the element, but it def will stink.
  • Thu, Feb 23 2012 2:13 AM In reply to

That sounds scary, I hope you are all okay. Opening windows that day would have helped?

The only thing I can think of without calling a professional cleaning service would be a bit what others have said. Try removing some cold, but be careful around the heating element, not to break or crack it with too much pressure.

I was thinking at first some flame retardant material, but that would burn too, so you are better off with heavy duty foil, lots of it already torn off and wadded into amounts you can handle, kinda flat at one end to wipe up melted plastic. Have an old pan handy that you don't mind tossing out, or aluminum disposable pan. Must be something that won't melt, metal .. not glass. Then put on oven mitts. Then, put oven on absolute coolest setting.. 100 or 150.. however low you can go. Mine is digital and will go to 120. Get it *just* warm and turn the oven off. Then pick up a wad of foil and try to wipe the plastic up gently. Keep repeating. Be very careful not to get any molten plastic on you. To be on the safe side I would probably wear a paper mask too. If it doesn't melt at that temp, gradually go higher and be ready to turn the oven off and start scraping. If you heat the oven too high, the plastic will get too thin and melt down into crevices before you can wipe it up.

Years ago I put a plastic spatula in a skillet and set it in the oven. I put hot pans in there to cool before loading in the dishwasher.  Well I forgot about it and preheated the oven. Oh man the smell... thankfully it just melted a little. I can't imagine how upset you must be.

Please be careful and let us know how it turns out. :)

• Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:21 PM In reply to

• Toughmama2
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 7 2011
    • Southwest to be Northwest?
    • Posts 28

Thank you all for your suggestions and taking time out of your day to post. After a little bit of working on it, a bit at a time I got 95% of it to just pop off, and the tiny little bit that was left on the heating element I am confident will burn off with no problems while heating tonights dinner!!!! Thanks again! Yes
    `Aut inveniam viam aut faciam-

I will either find a way or I will make one.

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us