Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Nutritional value of coconut milk?

Last post Thu, Oct 10 2013 9:25 AM by MsRiash. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 9 2012 11:14 PM

Nutritional value of coconut milk?

I have become a convert to almond milk, can't get enough of it. I never tried coconut milk - how healthy is it?

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 7:27 AM In reply to

Re: Nutritional value of coconut milk?

Seaturtle, coconut milk made fresh is a real health boost. To make it fresh all you do is cut into a coconut, drain liquid, reserve liquid, open coconut, scrape out meat, transfer meat and liquid into blender and blend. You have fresh coconut milk. I believe you are asking about pasturized store cold shelf coconut milk though. Coconuts are a whole food, fresh coconut milk is as well, store bought processed is not so you will be consuming a denatured product. However, coconut is a lovely food even though it's a fatty fruit and high in saturated fat it has not shown to cause health problems, it has been shown to improve them. There are 3 foods I could literally live and survive off of and at one point of my life DID during health crisis: coconuts, avocados and bananas. Coconut water, the water inside a fresh coconut, is one of the most superior liquids a person can consume. It's PACKED with potassium for electrolyte balance and used in the past to save lives during war crisis. It was given through IV lines during massive injury with blood loss. Shoot for Thai young coconuts, they are the best when chosing fresh. If you can't get fresh coconuts then my best advice for optimal coconut nutrition would be to buy coconut water not coconut milk. There is also such thing as coconut milk sold in the can for cooking... that's not nutritionally dense though. Your best bet would be 1. fresh coconuts 2. coconut water from the store if 1. isn't doable for you... 3. dried coconut meat 4. cold shelf coconut milk and lastly 5. canned coconut milk

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Feb 10 2012 9:38 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

If someone can be genetically programmed to hate a food, it would be coconut!!!  Couldn't get it down if I had to!  My grandmother (according to mom) hated it, so does mom, my sister and I, both my kids and at least one grandkid.YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Fri, Feb 10 2012 10:20 AM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Link to nutritional label of coconut milk:  http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-coconut-milk-i12117

1 tablespoon = 16% of the saturated fat daily allowance...1 tablespoon...Surprise   Same amount of saturated in 1 tablespoon of Crisco shortening but less than half when compared to 1 tablespoon of butter!

% of daily values:

1 tablespoon = 6% of total fat, 16% of saturated fat, 1% of dietary fiber, 1% Vit. C and Iron based on a 2000 calorie diet.  

A high intake of saturated fat has been shown to raise blood cholesterol, which is associated with an increased risk of heart disease. Excess saturated increases LDL (bad) cholesterol in the blood. It also may contribute to weight gain by providing excess calories.

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:43 AM In reply to

• Jetamio
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 9 2011
    • Colorado
    • Posts 296

I love almond milk as well!  Have you tried almond milk ice cream?  Yummy.

Coconut milk has sort of a bitter after taste to me.  I don't care for it very much and it is higher in fat.  I've tried coconut milk ice cream and it was enjoyable.

I love coconut water however!  I do a ton of hot yoga and drink it after class ocasionally. Especially if I'm taking or teaching multiple classes.

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi
  • Fri, Feb 10 2012 10:49 PM In reply to

A good link for some easy to follow health BENEFITS from coconut. It is a FUNCTIONAL food and a very blessed one at that. Yes, it's a saturated fat but it also has many health benefits and studies have proven many coconut cures. Fresh is best, always.

http://www.drgranny.com/2011/05/05/benefits-of-coconut-milk/#Benefits_of_Coconut_Milk

Jetamio - real coconut milk does not have a bitter aftertaste. You must be referring to denatured coconuts from canned or fridge shelf coconut milk? If you are referring to fresh homemade coconut milk then I must question what kind of coconuts were used and their level of ripeness or if rancid.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Feb 10 2012 10:53 PM In reply to

BargainBinge:

A good link for some easy to follow health BENEFITS from coconut. It is a FUNCTIONAL food and a very blessed one at that. Yes, it's a saturated fat but it also has many health benefits and studies have proven many coconut cures. Fresh is best, always.

http://www.drgranny.com/2011/05/05/benefits-of-coconut-milk/#Benefits_of_Coconut_Milk

Now and tthen I do love to have a coconut milk but it does a job on me but its good for you and great for cooking and baking me I use it for more baking then anything becasue I do have an allergy to milk I have to cool it with it soy is the answer to me but win lose or draw they are all good :}-

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:18 PM In reply to

That is great Cindy.

I use fresh Thai young coconuts, use to buy them by the case on a weekly basis, know all about coconuts as I use to live off them.

I also consume organic coconut water daily and use raw organic coconut butter which is the most divine treat ever. I use raw coconut oil for skin and hair care. Great stuff.

• Sat, Feb 11 2012 1:11 AM In reply to

seaturtle, I think coconut milk is wonderful! Unlike BB, I don't make mine fresh, but get the So Delicious brand when I can find it on sale and/or have coupons for it. I use their coconut coffee creamer in my coffee just about every day, and it doesn't give a coconut flavor to my coffee either.
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Sat, Feb 11 2012 4:06 AM In reply to

There is also dehydrated coconut water that I have on hand for emergency situations. It's an invention that recently came out into popularity and a great source for emergency survival kits/needs! All natural, came be bought on amazon...Big Tree Farms CoCoHydro...http://bigtreefarms.com/index.php/page/product/72/89/89
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us