Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Hole in down jacket

Last post 10-01-2013 8:38 AM by RichardBrown. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-09-2012 10:33 PM

Hole in down jacket

A down-filled jacket with a nylon shell has developed a small hole in the fabric (I must have run into something that poked it). The feathers are coming out, one by one. What can I use to repair the hole> The fabric won't take any sewing, and patches don't stick.

• 02-10-2012 4:00 AM In reply to

Re: Hole in down jacket

If you can find an iron on patch and do that and then sew around the edges of the patch that should do the trick. There are many patches out there that are inexpensive and are iron on.

Hope you are doing ok seaturtle, I know you were having a rough time of things too.  Hugs Sally.

• 02-10-2012 8:51 AM In reply to

Superglue fabric glue and a patch...

Quick product guide

http://www.supergluecorp.com/choosingaproduct.html

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 02-10-2012 9:45 AM In reply to

OK as a Vermonter, how about Duck Tape???? lol, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-10-2012 10:34 PM In reply to

Sally, the farbic is too thin and fragile for sewing or iron-on.

Bb, thank you, I used the Super Glue, it worked, left a dark patch over the hole, but it's fixed.

Babs, of course, I plan to cover the whole thing with Duck tape. I'd be ashamed to go out in public without it.

• 02-10-2012 10:51 PM In reply to

Seaturtle, I love down jackets. I had one that a friend was throwing out. I wore it for three years.  I had washed it a lot of times. Then the last time, I washed it, it smelled awful. It was like the feathers smell sour. It was really strange. I rewashed it but it didnt help. I finally threw it away. I hated to do that. Now I have a wool red plaid one. My kids laugh at it but it is really warm too. Hope you are doing OK. This has been a crazy winter. Tomorrow suppose to be a cold night. Stay warm and safe, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 03-26-2012 12:48 AM In reply to

If the dark patch left by the glue is not too large, you might be able to use a little more glue to put an applique on top - like a star, or a heart, in a color that would go with the jacket. I did that once with one of the kid's jackets that was a hand-me-down jacket with down filling.

• 03-26-2012 9:35 PM In reply to

What a good idea, thank you!

• 03-26-2012 11:29 PM In reply to

Sallybabe56:

If you can find an iron on patch and do that and then sew around the edges of the patch that should do the trick. There are many patches out there that are inexpensive and are iron on.

Hope you are doing ok seaturtle, I know you were having a rough time of things too.  Hugs Sally.

Ok here I can help get a linen cloth put your patch down first then wet just a little and put the cloth over it ok put the iron on the cloth hold it there no more then twenty secounds let the cloth cool down and lift up the cloth see if the patch is stuck on it if not then repeat the thing again wait until it is cooled down again then lift it up and that should stick... If your going to mend the jacket then do it then you can patch it afterwards we use to do this at the dry cleaner I worked at for ten years as a secound job....

• 03-27-2012 10:25 PM In reply to

The jacket is a fine, thin nylon. Will that take an iron? The fabric is way too thin to take any sewing.

Page 1 of 2 (13 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us