Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Today's Soup.

Last post Sun, Apr 14 2013 7:42 AM by BargainBistro. 152 replies.
Page 1 of 16 (153 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 4:22 PM

Today's Soup.

So, did I mention I love soup? Oh...only about 500 times? Big Smile

This has some of the leftover cauliflower from the other day, run through the blender with some home frozen corn and a little bit of broccoli cheese soup mix. I also added a couple tablespoons of Velveeta. To be honest, it's okay, but I think it would have been much better without the corn. (It made it a little sweet.)

With nothing to lose, I grated in some nutmeg and added a pinch of curry. It gave it a little more kick, but I think the bean soup (that's what's soaking in the jar) I want to cook tomorrow will be better.

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 4:29 PM In reply to

• suzin
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 24 2007
    • Posts 244

Re: Today's Soup.

Today I'm making some split pea and ham soup...soup sounds good for a cold winter meal....it's just split peas and chopped up ham...put in the slow cooker....

Nebraska
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 10:31 PM In reply to

Soup king over here lol  I make some serious soups over here though. They are my forte and my favorite. :ast night I made a home scratch  crab and corn shower that was one of the best ever.Right now I'm slow cooking veggie broth for Cindy's gypsy soup-stew tomorrow. Tonight I freezer pulled my special Tuscan white beans and greens soup I recenly made and froze leftovers... even better than the first batch! How will you use your white beans that are soaking? Love posts with visuals!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:01 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Have chickens cooking in the crock pot ..  Chicken noodle soup for tomorrow .

I had spilt pea with ham today for lunch .

BB I love soup and we eat all the time Winter , Spring , Summer ( we love fruit soup that cold ) Fall ( we love everything from Squash to Acorn )

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 11:41 PM In reply to

Btw looking good there looking good home made soup is the best and Im gonna atempt this one next week making me drool right now guess when I get done posting then it means I got to reel my tounge back in my mouth hate dragging it around the floor.

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 12:48 AM In reply to

suzin:

Today I'm making some split pea and ham soup...soup sounds good for a cold winter meal....it's just split peas and chopped up ham...put in the slow cooker....

A classic! Sounds yummy.  Smile

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 12:50 AM In reply to

BargainBinge:

Soup king over here lol  I make some serious soups over here though. They are my forte and my favorite. :ast night I made a home scratch  crab and corn shower that was one of the best ever.Right now I'm slow cooking veggie broth for Cindy's gypsy soup-stew tomorrow. Tonight I freezer pulled my special Tuscan white beans and greens soup I recenly made and froze leftovers... even better than the first batch! How will you use your white beans that are soaking? Love posts with visuals!

Go for it!

The beans will get the usual treatment...some aromatics and protein. Might take a picture. LOL

budgetwise

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 5:13 AM In reply to

Gayla, I try to cook up a new soup now every 1-2 days. It was a new goal of mine starting this new year. I've lost count at how many I've made thus far. I could never get sick of soup, ever.

Budget, enjoy your new creation and please do post pictures! I love picture posts, yours are fabulous. Thanks again for your shares.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:07 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

BB, do you add bay leaves to your bean soups?  Also, a very small amount of cider vinegar really enhances the flavor of the beans.  If that is a pint jar, no more than a half teaspoon.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 11:24 AM In reply to

I made Leftovers Soup earlier last weekend and I keep adding to it everyday.

So far it has

chicken

more chicken

rice

has browns

potatoes

carrots

green beans

broccoli

ground beef

onions

corn

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 16 (153 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us