Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Looking for some cute recipe organizer ideas.

Last post Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:01 PM by cheapChic. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 8:45 PM

Looking for some cute recipe organizer ideas.

I save a lot of my recipes in a folder on my computer, but then, there are the recipes that get used a lot, and for those I want a hard copy.

Have you made or updated your recipe organizer lately? If so, would you share your ideas and maybe some photos?

Thanks!

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 11:18 PM In reply to

Re: Looking for some cute recipe organizer ideas.

bgt Hope about get a folder at walgreens and keep all those good recipies in it or I get notebook and put stickers on front of it like a flower and little cats and birds to make it cute and inside have recipe cards of your recipes on it just an idea.  Cheap too.

chrissanne
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 7:25 AM In reply to

Dollar store photo albums... or be creative and make a shoe box collage for free at home - simply use an old shoe box and decorate it with collage clippings. Store recipes inside. Make a few boxes with different themes "breakfast box" "lunch box" "dinner box"

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Feb 7 2012 8:46 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    Dollar store photo albums...

That is a great idea. Albums could be in different categories like favorite meals for the most often used, breakfast, main dishes or however else we want it.

I have a big binder with plastic pages but I have so many recipes in it that I have to page through and over the years not all my recipes look the same. We have a few fancy scrapbooked ones, some printed back in the 90s, some printed off a cooking program, some copied out of the books, some hanfd written.

I think a small album of our most used and scrapbook design those, leaving my binder for my big collection might work out great for us.

Thanks!

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Feb 7 2012 1:32 PM In reply to

Brandy:

BargainBinge:
    Dollar store photo albums...

That is a great idea. Albums could be in different categories like favorite meals for the most often used, breakfast, main dishes or however else we want it.

I have a big binder with plastic pages but I have so many recipes in it that I have to page through and over the years not all my recipes look the same. We have a few fancy scrapbooked ones, some printed back in the 90s, some printed off a cooking program, some copied out of the books, some hanfd written.

I think a small album of our most used and scrapbook design those, leaving my binder for my big collection might work out great for us.

Thanks!

Cheap my sister keeps her in a note book when the college book is full she uses a manu typerwriter and types all the recipes out and devide the recipes in order of like breads, desserts and main meals slow cooking meals and cassaroles and fruits and veggies I swear she has not bought a new cook book in years and when she hands writes everything just about looks like a real cook book from the book store.

chrissanne
  • Thu, Feb 23 2012 8:00 AM In reply to

• Gary
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Posts 412

We did an article on that awhile back. You'll find it here. Personally I just use a 3 ring looseleaf notebook, but I don't have a lot of recipes. Tend to throw away the ones that I don't use often. Figure I'd rather find something new on the net instead.
  • Sat, Feb 25 2012 5:00 PM In reply to

• Helene
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 24 2009
    • Posts 721

Hi BB, I tried several ways of ogranizing my recipes, shoe boxes, computer files, three ring binders, you name it. And I couldn't find a recipe when I needed it!

Finally, I organized them in a different way, and now I find the recipe I want rather quickly, a minute or two, perhaps.

Now, when I find a good recipe, I write it down in a numbered notebook, and on the outside, at the front, I put a label with the recipe name on it. In this way, I have the index/content visible on the front cover of the notebook, as inside indexes have never worked for me (takes too long time to find what I want).

I put the notebooks, standing up, in a shoe box. When I need a recipe, I just flip through the notebooks and look at their front covers, and I can immediately see in which one the recipe is. This has saved me lots of time, and now I can actually find and use the recipes I collect. 

If I had cut out recipes from magazines, and do not want to write them all over again, I just glue it into the notebook and write the name of the recipe on the front cover. 

I also have a system with different colours of notebooks. Pink is for recession recipes, for example. Every notebook also has a number, and for the 50 or so recipes I like the most, I have made a regular index in a separate notebook. Name of recipe - number of notebook. I feel that a regular indext works for this smaller numbers of favourite recipes, but not for the thousands of other recipes that I have.

A modern way, would be to make different folders in the computer and then save different sorts of recipes, or links to them, there. Personally, I find it difficult reading recipes from the computer while I cook, as I have a very simple way of noting down recipes in notebooks by hand = just noting down the ingredients in the order they are used and beside the name of each ingredient, a short note on what to do with them. This makes it fast and easy to read and easy to cook.
    Many online recipes are written in a way that you have to spend lots of time reading, and I don't have time for that while cooking.

• Sat, Feb 25 2012 8:01 PM In reply to

type it out on cards and label meats cassaroles and desserts cookies etc etc etc. ok got to the craft store or thrift shop get note book stick those in those see threw pages we use to use those in collage andput those cards in alphabet order and on topof the note book recipe book then you can hand it down when your tired of it to the kids all the good stuff you made or get a box andput the cards like in a file that works too.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us