Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Bulk cooking February

Last post Fri, Feb 24 2012 6:08 PM by Brandy. 26 replies.
Page 2 of 3 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Feb 6 2012 3:18 PM In reply to

Re: Bulk cooking February

Cooking a large crockpot of beans today that will be the basis of most of our meals this week. Baked a dozen potatoes for one meal later in the week plus potato salad and to add to soups.

Cooked a dozen eggs to pack in lunches.

Making pizza to have on hand for lunches (the guys love it cold) and late night snacks.

I have about 30 casserole-type dishes (lasagne, pot pies) and 10-12 misc items (burgers, sloppy joes) in the freezer to use up.

• Mon, Feb 6 2012 8:12 PM In reply to

No major secret to pumpkin muffins. Sometimes I add choc chips; sometimes I add craisins; sometimes I add pumpkin pie spices and sprinkle with brown sugar & cinnamon sprinkled on top. I always use 1/2 the sugar, 1/2 the salt, 1/2 the oil, and I sub out 1/2 the AP flour with whole wheat flour. Since I do this all the time no one notices that muffins are usually sweeter than how I make them. LOL I cooked up 2 lbs of ground beef and divided it up 3 ways so we could different meals out of it. Meal number 1 was cheese tortalini with meat sauce. Meal number 2 was Mexican rice bowls with enough left for my lunch at work. The last of the beef will be frozen.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 5:44 PM In reply to

I found this blog post earlier today: Freezer Cooking - Slow Cooker Meals

I've been so swamped with schoolwork, I haven't gotten much prepped for dinners lately. I've been wondering if something like Dream Dinners would be a good idea, at least until I get on an even keel, but I think this will do the trick.

Sometimes I like having a list to follow, rather than trying to figure out what to get and how to make it all work together on my own... since this lists things that my family will eat, I won't have to exert too much energy figuring stuff out. I'll still have to tweak things a little, but I can do that.

The recipes are all geared for the crockpot, but they'll all work in the oven or on the stove in case I don't get them in a crockpot in time.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Thu, Feb 9 2012 6:59 AM In reply to

Spider, once a month cooking method is very common. A lot of people do it to create their own "Dream Dinners"... the concept is great for those who need pre-made meals made at home. The actual Dream Dinners service is too expensive and too unhealthy IMHO. You are pretty swift with bulk batch cooking, it seems to be a forte for you really! That's great. I understand time is an issue though right now. I think making that list and then cooking what you can little by little and adding up your freezer dream dinners is a great idea. They don't all have to be cooked at once...and you have that huge roaster that can cook multiple items at once to be bagged and used for multiple meals. Having that extra big space really helps... like cooking chicken and veggies together... then bagging and labeling for different usages... "Quick chicken soup" - just add broth when ready... "Quick chicken/veg topping" - to add on rice or pasta... etc Also seperate and bag some chicken for your emergency protein idea and some veggies in another bag for a quick re heat veggie side dish.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Feb 9 2012 7:00 AM In reply to

Stranger, when you make bulk potatoes how do you store them?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Feb 10 2012 8:55 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    once a month cooking method is very common

After this fiasco with my fall open Tuesday, I started seriously thinking about some easy to manage foods for my family. I have been poking around the net and rethinking my cooking plans entirely.

I precook things like beans and sauces but my family doesn't know how to really pull together the things I have.

I am looking at setting up a day or two a week where I package complete ready to put in the oven meals or already cooked and just heat ones. Maybe even prebake rolls, breads and cook some side dishes as well.

We don't need a whole month ready to go but a couple of nights a week off from cooking or having something in a pinch that is actually all homemade would be fantastic.

Still thinking this out.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 10:07 AM In reply to

Brandy, that's great you are planning this out. I had suggested that as an emergency back up system with your hubby when we were discussing this the other day. The concept is great.and there are many great dishes you can make with some of your staples I know you have each week. Foods can be packaged all in one container for those one dish or easy dish meals... rice makes a beautiful bed at the bottom of a dish with something on top like chili or stew or curry or veggies, protein, etc. Mexican layered bakes are GREAT too and you seem to have those staples.

Hey let us know what you come up with dear! How is your injury!?!??

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 10:33 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    I had suggested that as an emergency back up system with your hubby when we were discussing this the other day.

Yes, you did. I have been thinking on it since. I saw the wisdom of a few things done and was checking out container options but I expanded on that then.

I do keep the basics on hand at all times and a variety of meats and produce that we eat too. I shop to stock.

I am up and around. Wearing my shoe was uncomfortable yesterday but not too bad. Today is park day, we will see how that goes.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Fri, Feb 10 2012 5:02 PM In reply to

BargainBinge,

After the potatoes are cooled,I wrap them in foil and store in the refrigerator for no more than 3 or 4 days. Any still there after day 4, I split open and make twice baked and freeze.

• Sat, Feb 11 2012 12:34 AM In reply to

Making up meals for this week, using some of the recipes from the link I posted earlier.

I have one ziploc bag of pineapple teriyaki chicken, making one of BBQ pork chops and veggies, and making a big pot of beans with a hambone I forgot was in the fridge (thankfully it's still good!). I also have the makings for cranberry pork chops (a la Pioneer Woman -- I think hers is actually pork tenderloin, but it'll work), but I may just cook that on Sunday instead of making it a crockpot dish.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
Page 2 of 3 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us