Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Homeschooling; What does it cost?

Last post Mon, Aug 13 2012 9:14 PM by MarthaMFI. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 8:54 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Homeschooling; What does it cost?

What do you spend annually on curriculum, resources and activities for your homeschool?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 9:11 PM In reply to

Re: Homeschooling; What does it cost?

I don't know never saw the cost I think maybe the books and programs you need to follow is a bit stiff in things but the kids come out better socially just like the public school kids do smart or maybe the kids have the pateints to do things better with the one on one I don't know brandy do you use some of your old books or used what do you do I really am for home school and public what ever the parents and kids work out is fine with me.

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 9:13 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

cheapChic:
    brandy do you use some of your old books or used what do you do

I bought sets of books that can be reused for some subjects. So purchased once and done. We have a few consumables but those aren't costing too much.

The real books I like to use come from the library and those are free.

It's harder to keep track of homeschool expenses this way but I don't spend more than $100 a year to homeschool two children now. The cost was higher when I purchased the non consumable sets.

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:45 PM In reply to

You see glad you brought this up I have no idea what you all go threw with lessions compared to back then I was hopping to one base or another moving around this would have bennifts from then to now and we didn't on how many kids do this even in my time if they did or not so thanks brandy.

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:55 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

cheapChic:
    we didn't on how many kids do this even in my time if they did

In the U.S., we have this notion that homeschooling is fairly new but parents teaching children at home predates the modern school system. In many countries it was common for families of certain status and wealth to have tutors come to their homes to teach and for poor families to not send their kids to school at all but to teach them what they needed to know to work fields and become wives.

It was not so long ago that the one room schoolhouse that was owned and run by the town or community fell out of favor. The system for education in those days is much like what many homeschoolers today are doing. I mentioned my sets of books, many of those are from the 1800s and were the most used books in the one room schoolhouse. Most of mine are reprints but I have made a few good finds of vintage books. Some of the methods I use go back to ancient times and was the common way to educate then.

So to answer the question of how many people homeschooled or if anyone even did, you have to ask what you count as homeschooling.

• Wed, Feb 15 2012 11:37 AM In reply to

I probably tend to spend about $600 per year for both of my boys. This would include lessons (fencing and very inexpensive homeschool swim lessons at the local Y), curriculum (I'm a big fan of Alpha Omega, as well as Rosetta Stone) and equipment (bought a nice microscope). Netflix is a great resource for documentaries. I know I don't need to spend this much, but because they used to go to Lutheran school, it's still a lot less expensive than tuition. I save money by getting books at the library. Also, our local library has an annual used homeschool book fair, and I've bought a few books from there for only a few dollars.

• Wed, Feb 15 2012 1:13 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

This year, I spent close to $1,000. for seven of the grandkids. Some of this will be used again as we had misplaced a few books. Loaned them out and they never came home again. I should learn better than to loan. Like Brandy, I have a lot of material that has been used again, and again for my kids and now the grandkids. HIstory channel is another good place for the visual learner. DS#2 loved it and still does as an adult. Knows more history than the other kids. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Feb 15 2012 3:18 PM In reply to

My limit has always been $500 for 2 boys. But since ds#1 gradyated 2 years ago, I've been spending around $150 a year for one son....mostly special books or videos I pick thru the year at conferences. he uses mostly the school computer programs and books passed down from ds#1.

next year I will have to pay up for a new program however as his old XP computer is having issues and I don't think it will be able to run the programs anymore...we'll be lucky to keep it working until May or June! So I may be spending close to $300 for that.

Thinking about it, March and April are usually good months for buying discounted curriculum!

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Fri, Mar 2 2012 3:23 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

well I don't homeschool but sometimes think why not lol  all the stuff my kids do now would count like tae kwon do, reading buddies, all the stuff we do in guides...  I bought workbooks and a times table poster yesterday to bring dd up to speed and keep ds on his toes. about $25 worth.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Wed, Mar 21 2012 1:39 AM In reply to

• JolinTan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 21 2012
    • Posts 3

Any recommendation for homeschool?
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us