Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

My towns school lunch menu

Last post 02-15-2012 7:50 PM by tracyinmn. 41 replies.
Page 2 of 5 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-03-2012 9:14 AM In reply to

Re: My towns school lunch menu

The snack program is a local sponsored . It is all healthy, often local grown, most is organic food. A volunteer prepares the snacks for all the classes.  Parents are ask to donate some money toward it if they can. Lots of the local farmers donate. One other thing they do is highlight a local grown food each month.  These foods are all donated. This month is sweet potatoes. The goal is to introduce kids to diferent healthy foods.  On the amount of food and kinds of foods offred, new lunch regs from the Federal government are limiting a lot of foods in school lunchs. Example, now it has to be 1% or skim milk. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-03-2012 9:22 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

babs:
    Example, now it has to be 1% or skim milk

School age children are beyond the age where the fat is better for them and over the course of a normal day are probably getting it in other sources. I don't buy it myself but I have one thin child and one underweight. My husband really should have the low fat but I am opposed to fiddling more with the milk so I have not gotten different jugs for them in awhile.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 02-03-2012 9:56 AM In reply to

•  

Erika
  • 02-03-2012 11:55 AM In reply to

Back in the dark ages when i was a student, we got no choices.  there was one entree, the same two sides, a dessert, and plain milk.  I do remember every monday was chili with cornbread, fridays were fish sticks with green beans and fries.

Fast forward to when my daughter was in school, at a very small country school and the students were given one entree, 2  or three sides, sometimes a dessert, plain milk, on fridays they got chocolate. 

Today my nephews go to an extremely small rural school, (2 rooms).  Parents take turns coming in and fixing lunches, or the kids take their own.  Older kids travel to a high shool several miles away. 

Here in the big city, there are two choices for entrees, 4 sides, you get two, a dessert, and several choices for drinks (juice, chocolate milk, plain milk, or water)  Prices are around $3 for small kids, high schoolers pay $4.  I beleive there are salad bars at most of the schools too. 

• 02-03-2012 6:00 PM In reply to

The new regulations about milk are for ages 2 and older. So preschoolers in child care, Head Start programs are given 1% or skim milk too. I have a problem with that. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 02-03-2012 8:22 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

babs:
    So preschoolers in child care, Head Start programs are given 1% or skim milk too. I have a problem with that.

Hopefully they get a reasonable diet overall.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 02-13-2012 7:08 PM In reply to

I'm still getting used to the idea that there's no such thing as "school lunch" here in Canada (or at least, in the town we live in). You either go home or you bring your lunch. 

• 02-13-2012 7:20 PM In reply to

Good lunch meal good enough to grab a salad and run with that.

chrissanne
  • 02-13-2012 10:17 PM In reply to

Improvement in school and hospital meals/menus are something I feel VERY strongly about. Thankfully some are making changes, unfortantly though many are not especially with all these US financial issues going on all the time. Anyone ever check out the menus for the PRIVATE school his kids go to? You'd be surprised. Organic life in more of a luxury lane... wouldn't that be nice for all? I wonder how much money was given to that SPECIFIC school for these purposes.

Brandy, that is a pretty hefty lunch for a teenage girl... and then getting hungry again so fast? Did you play sports or were you very active?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 02-13-2012 10:42 PM In reply to

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
Page 2 of 5 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us