Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Living on One Income

Last post 10-22-2012 8:05 AM by babs. 28 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-31-2012 8:55 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Living on One Income

Job instability and rising costs are frightening things so...go ahead and drop an income.

WHAT?!?

Yes, it still can be done if you want to stay home and care for children, an eldery parent or have other personal situations that make staying home easier.

Let's hear from some of our stretchers who live on one income and make it every day on that. Come on members, share your secrets.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 01-31-2012 9:48 PM In reply to

Re: Living on One Income

I was laid off from my job back in 2008 when my company went out of business and we have been living off of my husbands income ever since. They say that things happen for a reason and I believe in that cause right after I was let go my Father-in-law's alzheimers got worse and he was unable to care for himself any longer. So I took over his care and the running of his household along with my own until about the middle of 2011 when we had to place him in a care facility. I have always been frugal so it wasn't too rough to get used to once again. We canceled everything that wasn't necessary...extra cable channels, dinner out 2x a week, landline and we changed cellphone providers cause my husband gets a discount thru his job. We didn't go away for an expensive vacation for 3 years because of no money and FIL needing a babysitter so we just did an overnight get away about 1 or twice a year and our children would stay with their grandpa overnight to give us a break. I also went back to cooking almost everything from scratch because FIL was diabetic and we really had to watch his diet. I went back to baking my own bread and desserts, growing alot of my own veggies (great stress reliever) and herbs.
    Riley
  • 02-01-2012 3:07 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

LifeofRiley:
    right after I was let go my Father-in-law's alzheimers got worse and he was unable to care for himself any longer. So I took over his care and the running of his household along with my own 

I'm impressed!  You left a 40 hour work week & your household duties and took on a 24/7 calling.  It is wonderful for the whole family when this choice is made.  How blessed your husband was that he had a wife that would fufill this huge responsibility.  I know you had some days that you thought would never end.  I also think you provided your children with a valuable lesson, that family comes first.  Some people focus on the negative, but you made the changes that needed to be made and found the silver lining in the cloud.  My respect and well wishes to you and yours.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 02-01-2012 3:32 PM In reply to

Thank you Grame,

You are right that it felt like some days would never end but I had my husband and kids for help and support. My children were able to spend the last few years having a relationship with their grandfather that they didn't really have before because everyone was always busy. They now cherish the time they had with their Papa before he passed. As hard as it was I wouldn't change anything. Recently (just before xmas) my own father had a stroke. Both of my kids jumped in and helped their Grandma with anything she needed them to do.  They spent hours sitting with him at the hospital so grandma could rest. Family always comes first.

Riley
  • 02-01-2012 8:45 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

I agree with Grame, you are amazing.  Many out there could use a family member like you.

• 02-01-2012 9:38 PM In reply to

Thank you Brandy,

My kids and my husband helped me alot. My husband would take over on the weekends so all I had to do was cook for his dad and get things caught up at my own house. My kids would stay with him if I had errands to run or if I needed a break. My mom raised me to always be there for family. My grandmother had dementia and stayed in her own home with the help of family until she passed.

Riley
  • 02-02-2012 9:19 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

My husband and I made the decision for me to stay home with the kids. It was not an easy journey but we hung in there. The first thing I learned was to make do. We have never had all the things some of our friends did and our stuff sometimes looked a little old and faded. If you can own instead of owe on cars, appliances and things in your home then your bills are lower and you can live on less.

I became a bargain shopper. It doesn't come into my house at full price...ever. The less you spend, the more money you have in other areas or to save.

We looked for ways to bring in a little extra money. An odd job here or a little something there. This boosted our available funds over the years and helped us to make it.

• 02-02-2012 9:48 AM In reply to

Great post. Some of you know that I had applied for a job I didn't get. Well, I am so relieved. It was painful to feel rejected but looking back It's OK. We have lived on one income for the past 15 years. It has been hard, pretty tight some months, and when the recession hit, it was depressing. I have time to bake, shop at second hand stores for our needs, clip coupons,surf the net for best deals, cook from scratch,etc. If I worked most of these would be gone. Plus the time I would have to spend at home getting lessons ready for school, little time for kids homework or going to the park with baby, paying a babysitter. I feel that part of my money would go to buy more convenience type food, clothes from the rack at department store for kids and gas. What about my stress levels, a messy house, piles of laundry, etc? I read on a article that to be content we should accept that we won't become any richer than their present condition. Looking at my life, I feel that it has been true. We had times of prosperity but compare to the last 16 years, it was really a very short time, and we weren't "rich" by any means. Right now I substitute on occassion. I like it but I am super tired when I get home.
  • 02-02-2012 10:01 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Carmina:
    It has been hard, pretty tight some months, and when the recession hit, it was depressing. I have time to bake, shop at second hand stores for our needs, clip coupons,surf the net for best deals, cook from scratch,etc. If I worked most of these would be gone

If the income is high enough then it may be worth the additional costs but for some who would work for a low income and less than a 40 hour week, it may not be worth it even to give up the bargain hunting for the income.

• 02-02-2012 10:24 AM In reply to

You are right. The school districts don't have positions open for Spanish teacher now, but they have plenty of the 9.99 jobs. I figured a part time 9.99 minus child care for 4 hours, gas and taxes, I would probably be making around $6-6.50 an hour. Not enough to do it everyday, leave my child and have to worry about sickness. The part time teachers make $20-$25 an hour. That is worth it!
Page 1 of 3 (29 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us