Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Egg Yolks

Last post Tue, Jan 31 2012 7:09 PM by cheapChic. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 30 2012 3:46 PM

• cgan
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 8 2011
    • Connecticut
    • Posts 13

Egg Yolks

My mother in law is on a diet that requires her to eat a lot of egg whites.  We've figured you that it's cheaper to just buy the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks than to buy the carton of egg whiltes.  The problem is, we don't know what to do with the egg yolks.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Carol
  • Mon, Jan 30 2012 4:21 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Re: Egg Yolks

anything else you might use eggs in ...  breads, cakes, cookies, etc ...  you could also freeze the yolks and use them at a later time.
    Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Mon, Jan 30 2012 4:50 PM In reply to

If I had a bunch of egg yolks leftover at my house I would scramble them up at feed them to my 3 dogs. Eggs are really good for their coats and my dogs love them.
    Riley
  • Mon, Jan 30 2012 9:36 PM In reply to

Riley, I am a raw feeder and supplement calcium sources to my dog with raw eggs and shell. The shells are an excellent source of added calcium, just make sure you crush them well... always reserve leftover egg shells for the pups! I crack 2 of them for him a day when I am using raw eggs with his raw crafted meals.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Jan 30 2012 9:44 PM In reply to

Cgan, like Karen said you can use them just like you would the whole egg. Yolks do have their own flavor though - one of which I love. The first thing that comes to my mind is boiling them like you would a hard boiled egg... boiled or poaching... and enjoying little boiled yolk circles. You could also make egg salad or deviled egg filling with them. My next idea would be to stir fry a bunch of them to use in Asian rice. You can bulk batch and freeze to preserve. They would also be good chopped up in a nice spinach salad... you've really got a lot of options just depends what you like and how they will be cooked. Off food topic but egg yolks are a well known natural body booster for the hair. Leave them on like a mask and then rinse, they coat the hair shafts and give your hair a body boost. I use to do it, it does work.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:03 PM In reply to

froth it up with a fork and add milk to it very little stir it in chicken broth add noodles after the stiring of the yoke is complete then throw ramin in it add veggies and chicken egg drop soup .

chrissanne
  • Tue, Jan 31 2012 12:26 AM In reply to

BB,

I have to be really careful what I feed 2 of my dogs cause one of them has a really touchy stomach because he had parvo when he was little and the other has severe food allergies so no egg shells here. She has to take a pill everyday and go to a vet that specializes in allergies. She can't eat beef, no wheat or corn by-products. We have to watch her diet very closely. The last dog is a walking garbage disposer.

Riley
  • Tue, Jan 31 2012 5:48 AM In reply to

Sissy, egg drop soup is a BRILLIANT IDEA!

Riley, so sorry to hear about your dog but glad you are on top of things to help her with these issues. As for the other one, keep a close eye on what that one eats too, espcially guests or kids who want to give table scraps, big no no. Dogs were not designed for any of that kind of food and it causes major health problems and short shots their lives. Our last golden was a hungry hippo and my Mom would give him table scraps and all that kind of JUNK. Needless to say it ended up killing the dog. It shot his thyroid. SHE WAS WARNED yet she continued to "treat him" It was very sad to watch and then he died and she was so sad. The food did it just like how it caused type 2 diabetes in many folks who don't watch their diet. Anyhow, it was all heart breaking. I do not allow my dog ANY cooked food what-so-ever... and certantly never any "dog products" from the stores... I'm one of the most anal people you will ever meet on that issue lol His treats are bananas and fresh fruits/veggies and meals are fresh raw meat, produce and whatever natural way I supplement. This works well for him. The raw food diet for animals is as close to how their species was intended to eat not how people have turned an animal's habitat and diet into household-socialized. We are all really blessed to have our pets. They are a gift! Raw food has helped MANY people completely turn their pet's health problems around...including allergies, helped with my dogs when he was younger.and was like the itchy and scratchy show... poor dog... raw changed it all for the best. Fasting is another great thing, especially during allergic outbreaks. Not sure if you fast either of your precious pups but I highly recommend it for both.

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 9:55 AM In reply to

Yolks are a 'perfect' pet food, raw for dogs/cats, cooked for fish. Also use to make pizza dough, foccaccia, bread etc. & a 'filler' or 'thickener' for soups and stews.

• Tue, Jan 31 2012 10:37 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

You can scramble just the yolks, add a tad of water, stir and cook, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 2 (15 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us