Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Oh Those Margarine Bowls!

Last post Mon, Jan 30 2012 1:01 PM by mtviolet. 33 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (34 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:52 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Oh Those Margarine Bowls!

Many of us probably have a cabinet full of containers for storing food or canning.

Take a look at yours. Are any reused containers like the bowls margarine comes in or do you buy containers meant for this purpose?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:04 AM In reply to

Re: Oh Those Margarine Bowls!

I try to keep a few of the margarine bowls in my cabinet cause I use them to send home leftovers with my daughter. She always forgets to return my good bowls or she leaves them in her car for a couple of months in the trunk and they are beyond nasty. They go right into the trash cause I am afraid of what I will find inside. This way it is no big deal if they get tossed.
    Riley
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 11:58 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

make our own butter, but boy, do those cottage cheese containers multiply!  Just like LifeofRiley, great for sending leftovers home to kids who never return the dishes.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:01 PM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

I hae some, more of the deli meat containers. My Mom used to but a lot them.  We can recycle all of those containers so most of mine go in recycling or if soup kitchen needs some, I donate them. They use them to send leftovers home with people. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 12:02 PM In reply to

• Patti
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2007
    • Posts 232

I use them also to send leftovers home with kids or friends.  I also take my lunch to work and if I have anything messy, I just throw away when I have finished.

I tried one time to quit saving bowls but can't do it!  Espcially cool whip bowls, the Southern girl's fine china.

Patti

Loving life in Mississippi

"Do what you like- like what you do!"
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:14 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Patti:
    Espcially cool whip bowls, the Southern girl's fine china.

I rarely buy Cool Whip and when I do, it's the store brand. The containers are not very sturdy so I toss those.

I do use margarine ones.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:30 PM In reply to

I used to save the empty cottage cheese, sour cream and whipped topping containers, but then I realized how annoying it was never to know what was in them!

So now I either buy cheap see-through reuseable containers or freeze things in freezer bags. Smile

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 1:51 PM In reply to

• Patti
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 10 2007
    • Posts 232

budgetwise:
    used to save the empty cottage cheese, sour cream and whipped topping containers, but then I realized how annoying it was never to know what was in them!

Or you could take a sharpie and write on the bowl like my DD did, "This is not cool whip, it is turnips!"Big Smile

Patti

Loving life in Mississippi

"Do what you like- like what you do!"
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 4:02 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Gradually, via X-mas & b-day gifts, plus a few for DG I have been growing my supply of clear glass containers.  Started because of the long-term effects of plastic on reproductive system.  Hey, I plan ahead and I would like to know I have great-grandchildren.  Anyway, along the way I noticed I was throwing out less and less because I could easily see into the glass containers.  With the I exception of cottage cheese and yogurt, I make most everything that normally comes in plastic so what I do get, gets sent home with company.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 6:24 PM In reply to

Patti:

budgetwise:
    used to save the empty cottage cheese, sour cream and whipped topping containers, but then I realized how annoying it was never to know what was in them!

Or you could take a sharpie and write on the bowl like my DD did, "This is not cool whip, it is turnips!"Big Smile

Big Smile

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
Page 1 of 4 (34 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us