Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Beauty at Home

Last post Fri, Feb 3 2012 8:09 AM by Falconinburgundy. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:39 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Beauty at Home

There is so much we can make at home. Bath and beauty products are one of them. If you make your own, share which solutions work for you.

If you are new to being frugal then check out the great ideas our more experienced members have and try something new. You may find a cheap alternative to expensive cosmetics and facial products.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 25 2012 10:41 PM In reply to

Re: Beauty at Home

baking soda and salt facial I use to make a paste and rinse off I use it on the nose and chin then I use witch hazel to get what ever the paste left on off.. I used it for years helps with the zits.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Feb 3 2012 2:08 AM In reply to

Nice post. Turmeric,curd, sandal and cream mix all these and apply on face and wash it off after 20 min. Face look bright and shiny.

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 3:53 AM In reply to

Organic coconut oil... for the skin... for the hair.. and also for your food! Same with hemp olive and olive oil as well. Other edibles that can be used for skin/hair... Avocados for a moisturizing face or hair mask... raw egg or beer rinse for body boost to the hair... oatmeal, papaya seed, sugar, sea salt scrubs... pumpkin puree enzyme rich face mask... fresh aloe vera for soothing/healing moisturizer... mint and cucumber to reduce puffy eyes or face...

I could be here all day, this topic if my forte! The ideas above are a great start though!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Fri, Feb 3 2012 8:09 AM In reply to

My latest DIY beauty discovery his also now my favorite: vitamin C serum. So easy to make and use, so cheap it's ridiculous, and very effective. The serums at the store go for $20-100+ for a 30 day supply, and while my skin loves C serum, I just couldn't realistically pay that much. I found a website, on accident, a few weeks ago that told me how to make my own, and the stuff is like magic!

7 ml distilled water (I use rose water, because I like the smell)

3 ml glycerin (you can leave his out and increase the water by this amount if you prefer)

1 g. l-asorbic acid crystals (I got mine at Vitamin Shoppe for $9.99, and the tub will last me until I die, I imagine)

Mix only in plastic or glass (l-asorbic acid is reactive with metal), shaking/stirring until dissolved. Store in refrigerator in tinted bottle. Apply as with normal vitamin c serum!

I also love my sugar & salt scrubs, coconut oil for my skin (sounds like BB also loves this), and tea bags for my eyes when I've had a bad night's sleep!

"This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in oncomming traffic." -Terry Pratchett

Blog: www.shwankie.net
    Twitter: EclecticEdibles
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us