Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Bartering or trading for services or goods

Last post 11-02-2012 11:15 AM by Juneflower. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-23-2012 2:14 PM

Bartering or trading for services or goods

I am curious if anyone on here does much bartering. My SIL recently mentioned that she would like to have a larger fish tank for her fish. I had a bigger one in my storage shed that I just simply did not have room for after moving to my smaller home. I was going to give it to her but instead she suggested that I take her smaller tank for DS because he has been wanting to get some fish again. I must say it worked out perfectly!! I also have a neighbor who does not have a storage shed for a lawn mower and weed eater. Her son in law will cut her grass but he too doesnt have a mower because he lives in a apartment. She buys the gas for my mower and her son in law cuts both yards. We have very small lots here, so it works well for everyone.
  • 01-23-2012 5:39 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Bartering or trading for services or goods

Any time I can!  I have one friend who is intimidated by forms, paperwork and I take care of that for her.  In return I get a gift cards for a pedicures!  We share a private road and the neighbor takes care of grading, snow removal, etc in exhange for baked goods, especially pie.  his wife doesn't bake & I make one heck of a fresh apple pie.  Some of my gfs have a rumage sale each spring and prior to opening the doors, we barter for each others unwanted items.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 01-23-2012 8:32 PM In reply to

grame:

Any time I can!  I have one friend who is intimidated by forms, paperwork and I take care of that for her.  In return I get a gift cards for a pedicures!  We share a private road and the neighbor takes care of grading, snow removal, etc in exhange for baked goods, especially pie.  his wife doesn't bake & I make one heck of a fresh apple pie.  Some of my gfs have a rumage sale each spring and prior to opening the doors, we barter for each others unwanted items.

You spoiled brat get the goodies and spioled to get nails done to rumage sales next thing I find out your getting a new hair do... make sure its not old lady wash and wear kinda thing then you don't need to look like a Q-tip seriosly that happened to mom she looked like a blond dust mop poor thing got harrased from dad on that one...

• 01-23-2012 10:31 PM In reply to

Hi gram I do this with a nieghbor when cindy is not here the old lady next door takes fred and cocoa out to do the nature call and it is true your spoiled sounds good what you barter for good for you and yes mom did get teased bad because moms hair is baby fine and thin she had a perm done one year dad called her brillo pad and cindy defended mom on this and said cindys hair looks white to white so what she do give mom a perm that looks good now and mom got cindy really lite hair dye to harrass my dad that he is now chunky gut with to many chocolets.

We do a bater also for a car lot cindy does car titles and lot monkey while mom and I car chase caravan meaning all 4 of us on the road from the aution to the car lot we go to lunch together to a gift card at the end of the day of work.

chrissanne
  • 01-23-2012 11:35 PM In reply to

Awhile back I made a post about batering and got some really good responses. I'd have to find it by searching... I am a firm supporter of bartering... fair trade... you scratch my back I stracth yours, lol - you get the idea.

Bartering is a wonderful way to exchange without having to dish out dough and further give into our government controlled and operated money systems. In a perfect world we could all barter and fair trade like how our ancestors did but that's not a reality this day and age so whatever barter or fair trade one can do the better, IMHO.

www.craigslist.org is a great place for local barter...getting to know your local neighbors and farmers is also great for bartering backyard and farm foods. I am also fond of foraging.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 01-24-2012 11:09 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

cheapChic:
    You spoiled brat get the goodies and spioled

Yep, cause if the princess ain't happy, nobody's happy!  Just ask DH.

Sissy - you wrote about transporting vehicles to auction.  Have you given any thought about expanding?  Make a list of who you are doing this for now, and generate a flyer to take to the dealerships.  My BIL who is retired (and does not need the money) does this for a one owner, multiple car lots dealer in IL.  He makes a good supplemental income for his wants.  Might be worth looking into.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 01-24-2012 12:02 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Yes, like bb said we talked about this a little while ago.  We barter too.  For instance, last year we bartered cnc work for a five gallon pail of local raw honey.   And the bee keeper also has his beehives on our back property and he gives us honey in exchange for using the land as well. 
    Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • 01-24-2012 12:41 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

You are so lucky!  DH has a bee phobia, but if it weren't for that....  My brother credits the neighbor's bees for his very productive flower and vegetable gardens.

• 01-24-2012 1:45 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-24-2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

grame:
    DH has a bee phobia

I totally understand the phobia part, but your dh must know honey bees don't sting.  Yellow jackets on the other hand ...  ouch!

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • 01-25-2012 9:49 PM In reply to

I barter when possible. Today I found a tall beer in a motel room fridge while cleaning, took it to the convenience store, and traded it for a Dr Pepper. I rarely do soft drinks but this was an improvement over beer or tap water. I miss flea market bartering: since gas got so high, I seldom drive the 35-mile round trip to the regional market.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us