Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Storing dried beans?

Last post Mon, Jan 23 2012 4:49 PM by Brandy. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 8:42 PM

Storing dried beans?

I ran across a fantastic deal today at a closeout grocery store.  They had dry pinto beans for $.39/# in packages of 10# or more, so I got a 13 pound bag for around $5.  Would these be okay to store in a glass gallon jar if I keep them in a cool, dry closet?  Or should I look for another storage method that would block out more light?

Carol
    western NC
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:51 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Storing dried beans?

I store mine in glass jars and I've never had a problem.  Works for us.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:53 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 24 2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

I keep mine ( in orginal packing )  in a plastic tub that in my canning kitchen  ( cool and dark ) .  they keep well for about a year . be sure a rotate your stock pile .

if  you dont use that many beans I would cook them and then freeze them

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:29 PM In reply to

Hi Mazie! Great score on pintos, they are always a promise when it comes to a frugal food find! You can always get them cheap somewhere and they are great legumes to include in the diet. How do you like to prepare and serve yours???

Glass storage is great. I see no problem in storing them in glass containers in a nice dry cool cabinet.Remember you can always wrap the glass containers with foil to block out excess light if need be but they should do just fine in a cabinet... it's dark in there already!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Jan 18 2012 11:30 PM In reply to

I would bag them up in 1 lb bags and put them in the freezer uncooked.  I had rice that I stored in the kitchen cupboard and forgot about and it had bugs in it after a while.  Now i keep a lot of bakery items in the freezer to be safe rather than sorry.  Sally
  • Thu, Jan 19 2012 8:10 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Great find!  Storing the beans the way you suggest would be just fine.  They will keep for a long while.  Another option to cooking and/or freezing is to can the beans.  Here is a thread I started about canning your own refried beans.  You can still use the same canning procedure without the seasonings.

http://community.stretcher.com/forums/p/25786/261245.aspx#261245

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Thu, Jan 19 2012 8:37 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

gayla50:
    I keep mine ( in orginal packing )  in a plastic tub that in my canning kitchen 

I keep mine in their original bags in a covered plastic box in a cabinet.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:14 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Beans keep a long time.  I find tha tas they get older I need to soak them longer and cook a little longer.  Freezing for a few days will kill bugs that could hatch later. I put rice, beans, flour in the freezer to kill bugs, then store in pantry. That was a wonderful price.  Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Sat, Jan 21 2012 3:42 PM In reply to

Just do check on them from time to time, especially considering the circumstances in which you got them. I had an entire bin of dried pintos MOLD once. I have no idea how it happened, since they were in an airtight container with a gamma lid, but apparently one of the bags I added to the batch was contaminated in some way and ruined all of them. 14 lbs of beans had to be thrown away.

Now I still store them in the bin, but in their original packaging. This way if one ends up bad, it hopefully won't spread to the rest quite as quickly.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Sun, Jan 22 2012 9:06 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

spiderdust:
    14 lbs of beans had to be thrown away.

That would be a bonus to leaving them in their packages. You can toss one bad bag without the others going bad too.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 2 (12 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us