Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Help Make This Meal: Fried Rice and Egg Rolls

Last post Wed, Jan 18 2012 10:33 PM by BargainBinge. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 8:56 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Help Make This Meal: Fried Rice and Egg Rolls

About two weeks ago, I began a thread to ask for suggestions on completing a meal. I got some really great things to try so I am doing this again!

I have leftover fried rice but unlike I had hoped, there is not enough to make a main course but a side dish. My son would like to try to make egg rolls. I have the side dishes of fried rice and egg rolls and I need a vegetable idea and a main course.

Ideas anyone?

Remember that I use basic ingredients and have these on hand. I have chicken, ground beef and a pork roast on hand as meats to work with.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:16 AM In reply to

Re: Help Make This Meal: Fried Rice and Egg Rolls

You could make breaded and fried chicken bites to dip into either a soy based dipping sauce for sweet and sour sauce.  You could lighten it up by sauting the chicken, unbreaded, with some vegetables and pouring the soy based sauce over the chicken and vegetable mixture.

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:38 AM In reply to

When I make egg rolls, I use ground up leftover meat, a 1lb package of cole slaw mix, and a package of egg rolls. The instructions are on the cardboard in the wrapper package, but I always use much more meat than called for. I use peanut butter melted slightly in place of the sesame or peanut oil. They also have instructions for folding and sealing with a flour paste. Then fry over medium high heat. Leftovers can be reheated in the oven to stay crisp, the microwave will make them soft.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 11:01 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    I use ground up leftover meat

I have shrimp to use in the egg rolls.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 11:22 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

You can make sweet and sour pork, that goes well with egg rolls, fried rice etc.   you can make more rice or more easy fried rice with frozen veggies and eggs like they do here.  here is a nice one that doesn't need deep frying.

http://southernfood.about.com/od/sweetandsourporkrecipes/r/bl30207m.htm

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 12:10 PM In reply to

We use whatever is on hand Shredded Chicken/Taco Meat/Lentil Tacos or this recipe that you have to grab a few ingredients for.. we bake them as well :O)

http://jayashiangel.blogspot.com/
    http://tactilepleasure.blogspot.com/

Cell Phone Holders 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 18
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2014 YTD 13
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2013 YTD 36
    Shawls 4 Hospice 2012 YTD 21

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 5:19 PM In reply to

A chicken or pork (or shrimp if you have any left) stir fry would go well ...

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 9:43 PM In reply to

My vote would be to save the shrimp for an entree not for the egg rolls. Shrimp should get more spotlight than a side dish especially if it's a treat or something not usually bought due to cost issues - which I know oh too well. You can get your veggies and entree in together with a stir fry. I second Wolf's idea for shrimp stir fry.

I do a lot of Asian over here and have found it's most enjoyable when kept clean. Heavy sauces mask the beautiful tastes of all the glorious vegetables that can be used in Asian cuisine. If you are working with foods like fried rice and egg rolls than I'd suggest a clean vegetable dense entree - dense meaning lots of vegetables. The shrimp you have on hand can be stretched with the vegetables and wok'd together for a great clean dish.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:41 PM In reply to

The beauty of the stir fry/wok combo is you can take like any vegetable and mix it with others to make a gorgeous dish.

Brandy, if you plan to make sides or entree with no spend in mind then it would be helpful if you included what you have on hand in these posts when you write them. That way we know what you have to work with and can give you legit ideas that would work well and are doable.

A pineapple stir fry is a great alternative to a traditional sauce laden, often fried, sweet and sour dish. I add fresh basil to mine for a kick. I like to make mine with shrimp, onions, bell peppers, pineapple, raw honey or agave nectar, sometimes ginger and topped with fresh basil. It comes out very clean and flavorful.

Veggies I often use in Asian dishes... baby bok choy, mushrooms, sugar snap peas, water chesnuts, broccoli, peppers, green onion, garlic, mung bean sprouts, sea vegetables, etc.

Serve fresh peeled orange segments for dessert with your meal! Refreshing and cleansing.

Also, like others have mentioned nothing here has to be fried. Fried rice doesn't actually have to be fried and egg rolls can be baked. It is much healthier to cut out frying and chemical laden sauces. If things are combine and prepared properl then flavors will speak for themselves, always.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 10:55 PM In reply to

Throw veggies in with the rice make fried rice and throw an egg in it to make it tastey and egg rolls on the side that be the meal if you throw in the egg with the fried rice and more veggies to it cut up the eggroll so that there my dear is the meal I throw in more onion just to cut down on salt and the fat.

chrissanne
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us