Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Resale/Consignment Sales

Last post Sat, Jan 28 2012 3:31 AM by Cheryl. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:35 PM

• smiles
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 15 2010
    • Midwest
    • Posts 312

Resale/Consignment Sales

Wondering what tips/tools others might have to offer regarding consignment sales-There is a resale shop in our area that I stopped in and can get 40% of any sales for clothes, shoes, gloves, etc. I'm wondering if the effort is worth my time? Looking for any advice. Thanks-
  • Tue, Jan 17 2012 8:41 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Re: Resale/Consignment Sales

How fast are items being sold there? If they price the items to move and their sales are good then you may make some money.

What do you usually do with the things you no longer want?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jan 17 2012 5:30 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

depends on the quality of clothes you want to resale too.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Sat, Jan 28 2012 3:31 AM In reply to

We don't have enough info to answer. What value do you place on your time? How much time investment would it be for you to take the items there? Would you be driving a check to your bank, or would you be mailing it?

They will be able to give you a ballpark on what the items will sell for. The consignment store I use gives it an initial price. If it doesn't sell in 4 wks I have the option to pick it up or let her reduce the price by half.  If your consignment store reduces the price you have to consider if you'd get a better return by getting the smaller amount, or donating it and using the tax deduction if you itemize.

Personally I consign larger items. When I only have a few clothes or smaller items I just donate them. Also if you itemize make sure you get a signed dated receipt. :)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us