Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

When you are no longer a homeschooling mom...

Last post 02-11-2012 8:17 PM by Cinnamonhuskies. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-16-2012 2:55 PM

When you are no longer a homeschooling mom...

...what will you do when the kids leave the nest?

I was thinking about that today. I have my 11th grade son left at home. What will life be like when I no longer have a child to school? Granted i have my usual chore load but when it is all done what goals will i have? It will be so new for me. We had chicldren soon after marrying and i quit fulltime employment after my second was born and never looked back. i really don't want to go back to work as an accountant or bookkeeper. I am hoping our little side farm and heating businesses grow into something more sustaining. Other than that, I really haven't anything planned yet.

So homeschool moms, is there life after homeschool?

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 01-16-2012 3:14 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

Re: When you are no longer a homeschooling mom...

Not a homeschooler, but a new empty nester, which is very similar to the amount of time you will suddenly find you have.  And I can tell you...it is great!  Now is your time to finally do all the things you have put on your "wish/to do" list that were set aside as homeschooling/homemaker duties took precedent.  

I have more time than ever now to do these things--whether it's learning a better way to organize something, or a new style of cooking (French?), or to try my hand at a new craft, or to teach myself a new skill (basic plumbing fixes?)  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 01-16-2012 6:40 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    ...what will you do when the kids leave the nest?

My family is convinced I will gather up my collection of dolls and build them a classroom. My husband is allergic to cats so I have to be the crazy doll lady.

My homeschool friend and mentor has raised all hers so I know there is life after. It's a long way off for me since my youngest is eight. Once she is finished though, I think I'd like to spend more time writing and doing activities I don't have the time for. Maybe garden more, read more and all that.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 01-16-2012 6:47 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

rolo:
    Now is your time to finally do all the things you have put on your "wish/to do" list that were set aside as homeschooling/homemaker duties took precedent.

Many homeschoolers identify themselves as homeschoolers. The things they do in homeschooling and as a family if they are homesteading in addition are what they do. For some there isn't anything outside of all this.

I advocate maintaining a sense of self and personal interests. These are the things we can do when math and reading lessons are no longer a part of our lives. We can bake a bread without our daughters and we can maintain gardens without our sons. Those things have to retain meaning beyond doing it for and because of our children. And we should have things that are just for us like reading or hobbies.

These words are coming from a woman who began existing for the day she married at the age of seven. We can be women with things to offer and do besides lesson books, even without children at home. It's just another phase of life.

• 01-16-2012 8:05 PM In reply to

• gayla50
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 09-24-2007
    • Western North Carolina
    • Posts 8,491

Cinnamonhukies  I feel your pain

you do a good job schooling doesnt end at 18 you teach all of your life

Gayla

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Frugal Food and Cooking and in Slow Cooker Foods

Purpose is what gives life a meaning
  • 01-16-2012 8:14 PM In reply to

Im jumping in the back ground and jumping around again trying hard to get cinamonshuskies attention I know what you can do twittle your thumbs works for a cousin of mine...

No just kidding maybe a job maybe a new hobby if not that then practice some great cooking if not that please do not take up pole dancing they say its great excersise uhhhh if you want an arm and leg I sudgest leave that one.

• 01-16-2012 9:15 PM In reply to

Brandy, the dollar stretcher crazy doll lady....I like that!  Big Smile

Cheap chic, no pole dancing for me i might hurt myself LOL

I have my own interests but they also tend to be that of my husbands....not because of marriage, just because thats the way it is.

Maybe I'll learn carpentry and get some stuff done around here....ouch...did I say that?!

Fishing...my husband is a hunter, not a fisher, and i haven't fished since my dad was alive. And I have that creek out back with brown trout and salmon......I'll be gone fishin' Wink

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 01-16-2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Cinnamonhuskies:
    Brandy, the dollar stretcher crazy doll lady....I like that! 

Well you know, everyone has to have something, LOL.

Cinnamonhuskies:

I have my own interests but they also tend to be that of my husbands....not because of marriage, just because thats the way it is.

That's ok as long as they are something you can do on your own as well. These are the things that can become activities to focus on and build our lives away from children's needs.

• 01-17-2012 11:26 AM In reply to

I think opportunities will come up when they are out of the house..I have my own interests always though I may not be able to do them much!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 01-29-2012 9:35 PM In reply to

I mostly lurk these days but had to chime in here. 

When I'm done homeschooling my kids (who are 10 and 7), I will probably volunteer somewhere until I have GRANDkids, and then I'll help school them! : )

That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it (my kids are currently in favor, LOL).

Edited to change the type from a dark grey (how'd that happen?) to black.

Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us