Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

21 hour work week? -- sign me up!

Last post Fri, Jan 13 2012 11:37 AM by MarthaMFI. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 1:36 PM

21 hour work week? -- sign me up!

Very interesting article about consuming less!

My favorite quote: "Instead of growing the economy, maybe we need to recalibrate society to make everyone happier and successful with less."

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 2:42 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

Re: 21 hour work week? -- sign me up!

well if someone was willing to paid us twice as much!   unless we are willing to live in a cheap 2bedroom with no cars and not do much, then we can afford to live on half off what we earn here.    now when the kids are out on their own plus the mortage is paid off then we can live on half the salary. 

of course that assumes that taxes etc will not go up because lately it seems every January, the govts on all levels tax us more then we get in raises!

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 5:13 PM In reply to

For many folks I know ... the norm is now a 50 or 60 hour week, or they're tethered to a BlackBerry 24/7.    Not because they want to consume more, but because they're doing the work of 2, 3, or 4 folks ...

www.dodgeandweave.blogspot.com
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 7:38 PM In reply to

• Walt34
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 17 2007
    • WV eastern panhandle
    • Posts 1,406

Interesting thought, but I doubt the concept would gain widespread acceptance. Frankly, I like living in a single-family home with a garage to house our vehicles better than a one-bedroom apartment. I've done both. And I was willing to work for it.

The author of the article seems to forget the origin of the 40-hour workweek. That was sought by unions in the 1920's and '30's when 6 days a week, 12 hours a day was the industrial norm. So the 40-hour week was a dramatic improvement in the quality of life for millions of people.

There will always be those who are not only willing, but eager, to work 50 or 60 hour or more weeks to build a better life for themselves and their families. Whether that is a wise course to take is another issue, but such will always be the case.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in Money Management
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 9:12 PM In reply to

I'm good with my current 40 hour work week.  What I wish we had in the U.S. is a vacation allotment more similar to most European countries.  The average is around 30 days a year.  I was talking to my co-worker about this today and employment stuff is her speciality and when was studying for her masters she read several research articles showing a higher level of productivity in countries with higher levels of vacation days. 

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 9:18 PM In reply to

MarthaMFI:

well if someone was willing to paid us twice as much!   unless we are willing to live in a cheap 2bedroom with no cars and not do much, then we can afford to live on half off what we earn here.    now when the kids are out on their own plus the mortage is paid off then we can live on half the salary. 

of course that assumes that taxes etc will not go up because lately it seems every January, the govts on all levels tax us more then we get in raises!

huh?? 21 hours no way I will work 40 I work 21 on my secound job willing to quit that one and keep the 40 hour one but I will not go anylower then I should this year Im paying off the last year of dh medical bills the last of it took me 3 years this is the 3rd we got dumped from his insurance Im now covered with a good one just not wanting to be caught with so called bloomers down again not for this usa but it does have a good side to it but don't want it ...

I wish I can say sign me up maybe in 2 years time I say ok do me now.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Jan 13 2012 11:01 AM In reply to

• MamaJ
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 5 2009
    • Posts 963

I find this fascinating. My family opted to live in the city, rather than in the suburbs, because the cost of housing is so much lower. We opt to drive ten-year-old (or older) vehicles rather than the new and flashy ones. I buy my clothes secondhand, I walk to work... We could have the bigger house in the suburbs, we could have new vehicles, I could drive to work every day -- but then I would be worried about money, worried about getting a promotion so I could afford more nice things, worried about keeping my job when the economy sours.

I love the quote Treva picked out of the article. "Instead of growing the economy, maybe we need to recalibrate society to make everyone happier and successful with less." It makes me think of FDR's Second Bill of Rights. He wanted Americans to have the right to "adequate food and clothing and recreation," a "decent home," "adequate medical care," and a "good education."

I for one am okay with "adequate," with "decent," with "good." I don't need a Cadillac. I don't need a mansion. I think that many people today want the best of everything, and people are no longer content with "adequate," "decent," or "good." A lot of people seem to be looking for more -- and don't seem to have any understanding of the concept of "enough."

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 11:37 AM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

It just depends where you live.  We drive old cars, mine is 15 yrs old.  buy thrift store clothes, shop sales...my property assessment this year for a 1945 old small house $591,000.  even if  I moved to where it was cheaper maybe $350,000 a house...would be up north and a small town..and dh wouldn't have a job.  we bought before prices doubled by the way. 

and my house is not an expensive one. 

but we are willing to work for what we have.  rather have the house then live in a cramped two bedroom for the difference. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us