Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Whiting fillets. Do you use them?

Last post Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:06 PM by cheapChic. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 1:08 PM

Whiting fillets. Do you use them?

Our Wal-Mart is selling large (sorry, forgot to check the weight...maybe 2 lbs.) bags of whiting fillets. The bag said they come from Maine.

Do you ever cook with them? Are they greasy? Is it a versitile fish, i.e., can you fry it, broil it or use it in soups? For $5.00 a bag, if it's a decent fish, it's a good buy for around here, as the cost of fresh fish is just outta  sight.

thanks, Smile

bw

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 1:18 PM In reply to

Re: Whiting fillets. Do you use them?

BW - I hate them, bad taste and texture in my opinion and experience. I feel this way about a few other fish as well. I prepare a lot of seafood so I know what I like and what I don't and stick to the ones I know work well over here.

I think with all fish it's a hit or miss. You either love the taste and texture or don't love it. It might be wise to try this sale and buy a pack to see if you like it. If so, then you can go back an stalk up! If not, then you know what fish to not buy in the future. Ps. You asked if whiting was greasy. Fish should never be greasy and would only be greasy if one cooked it that way. Whiting, in my experience, has had a very soft/tender and flaky texture that if cooked too long or broken up turned into MUSH. It also has a very "fishy" aroma in not a pleasant way - IMHO. I thought maybe it was just the brand and catch of fish but then I heard of this happening to many other people who was very disappointed as well, especially the mush part. Ps. Here in CA you will find whiting. swai and cod in the frozen department for about the same price and same size bag as your local walmart deal. They are the cheapest fish here and in my opinion the most detestable or my taste and texture preferences. Stick to whatever works for you!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:32 PM In reply to

I still have whiting fillets from the Angel Foods Ministry boxes in my freezer... I've been reluctant to use them because I don't know what to do with them, but I'll have to figure out something soon. :/
    Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Wed, Jan 11 2012 11:57 PM In reply to

budgetwise:

Our Wal-Mart is selling large (sorry, forgot to check the weight...maybe 2 lbs.) bags of whiting fillets. The bag said they come from Maine.

Do you ever cook with them? Are they greasy? Is it a versitile fish, i.e., can you fry it, broil it or use it in soups? For $5.00 a bag, if it's a decent fish, it's a good buy for around here, as the cost of fresh fish is just outta  sight.

thanks, Smile

bw

I have a walmart 20 miles from the house hmmmm month worth shopping there and get the fish for soup cool deal there thanks B.W

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:47 AM In reply to

sp

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:48 AM In reply to

Spiderdust: I can offer some suggestions for you based on my culinary creativity and experience with seafood. I am not fond of this fish as stated above but can still offer some ideas.

First off, I find this to be fishy tasting and feel that it needs to be masked. It's not your classic lemon, capers and light seasonings fish unless of course you really like the taste. Then easy is breezy. This one would be good in a fish soup or stew if you are able to cook it without it turning to mush. Cut into strips and boil into the soup towards the end. It will not take long to cook the fish. Another idea would be to cook it with Mexican seasonings and make fish tacos. Make your own blended taco seasoning to mask the fishiness. The flavor and texture will be okay for tacos, burritos or enchiladas. It would work really well for these dishes. You could prrepare it like tuna salad and make sandwiches or wraps. A curry or tomato/fresh herb sauce would also help kill it down some. Serve that over rice or pasta. Keep yours gluten free by making your rice from cauliflower with the curry or your pasta from zucchini or spaghetti squash with the tomato/herb sauce. Any of those ideas sound good?

• Thu, Jan 12 2012 2:42 PM In reply to

I was thinking possibly the fish stew idea... if it's fishy, it's probably easier for me to mask the fishiness in that. I love fish tacos, but I'm not sure if these would work for that. They still have bones and skin! :(

Thanks for the suggestions though... I think they sound really yummy, just not sure how they'd work with the whiting. Like you, I'm not a fan of mushy, strong flavored fish either.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:19 PM In reply to

I've got to remember to pick up a bag next time I go. Will report back after I cook some.

(:

bw

budgetwise

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Ps. 139:14
  • Thu, Jan 12 2012 11:07 PM In reply to

Spider, you could make an INCREDIBLE Mexican fish soup with this especially since the bones and skin are still in tact. It will really flavor the broth. I make a lovely Mexican fish soup with tilapia and poblano peppers. I made one about a week ago if you want the ingredients. I had posted it on the dinner forum but I think you were still away then. It came out too spicy but too good. All can be adjusted though. Your whiting would be best in a Mexican soup or Italian seafood soup. You could also pull off an Asian soup with it but my first suggestion would be Mexican. Let me know if you want additional ideas of what to add in those soups based on whiting as the key ingredient.

• Fri, Jan 13 2012 11:21 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    I hate them, bad taste and texture in my opinion and experience.

I agree with this one. My husband who loves fish did not care for the ones we got. They were cut in too large of pieces and tasted very fishy.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us