Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Cooking With Black Beans

Last post Tue, Jan 17 2012 9:12 PM by cheapChic. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:12 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Cooking With Black Beans

I am cooking a large pot of black beans. I plan to make black beans and rice for dinner but we will have so much leftover that I will need to plan other meals for some.

What other dishes do you use black beans in?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:17 PM In reply to

• Aana
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 26 2011
    • Posts 80

Re: Cooking With Black Beans

Personally I like black beans as a taco or burritto filler. You can also mash them up with a little stock and fry them to make refried beans. Add them to a chili (especially a chicken chili) or soup. Black bean & corn salsa (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/heathers-cilantro-black-bean-and-corn-salsa/).  You can use them in place of chickpeas to make humus.

Every guy thinks every girl's dream is to marry the perfect guy...psssh...every girl's dream is to eat whatever she wants without getting fat!
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 1:50 PM In reply to

I make black bean soup, or a quicker version with black bean and salsa soup (plus it's vegetarian).  I also make black bean burrito bake (one of our favorite meals), mash and pat them into burgers for black bean burgers, add some cumin and a little salt and have them as a side dish, quinoa black bean salad, black bean and corn salad. 

I actually cook up two pounds at a time and freeze them in two cup portions so I always have some available.  I like them better than canned.

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 2:09 PM In reply to

yuck hate those but when cooked with chili yum over rice and a small cut up hotdog

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 7:22 PM In reply to

chili 3 alarm fire for me this would add more beans to it cool.

chrissanne
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 7:44 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

black bean chili is good.  or blk bean burgers.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:53 PM In reply to

I mix in 1 cup of drained black beans to 1/2 lb ground beef (already cooked) and then add about a tablespoon each of chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder; salt to taste (maybe 1 tsp); and 1/3 C of water to let it all simmer together -- like you would if you were using a taco seasoning packet.  We easily can get 6-8 burritos/tacos with this mixture.

I also replace 1lb of ground beef in my chili (original recipe calls for 2lbs of ground beef) with 2 scant cups of drained black beans.  My chili ends up with black beans, kidney beans, and beef.  We love it and don't miss the beef at all.  The recipe fits a 6qt slow-cooker and we get 3-4 meals out of it depending on how we eat the chili (over potatoes, in a bowl with a few toppings, as part of chili-baked cornbread, etc.).

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:50 PM In reply to

Black beans are hands down wonderful as is. Steam and serve whole or hand smashed. Add a simple addition of spice if need be - cumin works well with black beans. Fresh cilantro and avocado are a great topping over fresh steamed whole black beans. I like a little drizzle of evoo and some garlic salt and fresh ground black pepper. You can do so much with black beans Brandy. Simple will allow you to really appreciate their beautiful black bean taste.

Other ways to enjoy them...

Black bean burgers... virtually any Mexican dish... chils, soups and stews... scrambled egg stretcher... mixed with sauteed peppers and onions... meat strethcher... southwestern salad with some of your rotisserie chicken that you made earlier... stuffed in bell peppers... mixed with corn and chilled for a cold side dish or warm works too... black bean dip - smooth like hummus - for raw veggies or whole grain homemade tortilla chips. You can do so much with them, breakfast/lunch/dinner and snacks. Make a vegetarian dish using your beans and rice and you've got a complete protein - no meat needed. I love to use them in vegetarian Mexi-bakes with layers of goodies - think Mexican casserole with rice, beans and veggies.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:00 PM In reply to

From a list of freezer-ready meals a friend sent me (which is why it says "put in one gallon freezer bag" - also tastes really good without the tortillas)

Sante Fe Chicken Wraps

1-1/2 c cooked & chopped chicken              1/2 can corn, drained

1/2 can black beans, drained & rinsed              1/2 can black-eyed peas, drained

1/2 can pinto beans, drained              1/2 can Ro-Tel tomatoes

1/2 c salsa              1/2 T chili powder

1 t cumin              1 Pkg flour tortillas

In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, stirring until evenly mixed. Put in one-gallon freezer bag. (To pack for sharing include a pkg of tortillas)
    Thaw bag. Heat in a saucepan. Fill tortillas. Top with cheese and sour cream.

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:09 PM In reply to

tortillas, quesidillas, taco soup, mash them with salsa and cheese and microwave for a dip.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us