Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Household duties?

Last post Wed, Mar 21 2012 2:29 PM by re-tired. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 9 2012 10:49 AM

Household duties?

Life is never a dull moment. It feels like there is always something that has to be done or could be done... from cooking to cleaning to laundry to fixer uppers to family and kids to pets to plants and yard to bills to personal matters to transportation to shopping/errands to ... you know the ordeal - the list seems endless...

What household and living duties are you in charge of? Do you get help from your spouse/partner, kids, family, friends, professional service workers, etc? How do they help/what do they do? Do you budget for hired services? barter for them?

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Jan 9 2012 11:28 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Re: Household duties?

BargainBinge:
    Do you get help from

BB - You are just too cute!  Define help please.  Do you mean does anyone just do what needs to be done on their own with no cajoling, threats, pleas on my part or what?

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:03 PM In reply to

• Aana
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 26 2011
    • Posts 80

DH and I don't really have assigned things...we just pick up and do whatever we see needs to get done.  Usually after meals I wash and he dries, I sort the laundry and he normally does it (I'm short and can't see over the basket when I walk down the basement stairs Embarrassed), I tie up the trash and he takes it out.  Whoever gets to it first makes the bed.  Normally I make meals and handle the vacuuming/dusting.  It's a big yard (more like a field) so he takes care of bush-hogging and trimming and I handle the gardening. So I guess we pretty much split things up evenly come to think about it.

Every guy thinks every girl's dream is to marry the perfect guy...psssh...every girl's dream is to eat whatever she wants without getting fat!
  • Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:50 PM In reply to

Grame, you make it sound like Big Momma be runnin' da' houuuuuse.... Help meaning any help getting any job done.
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Mon, Jan 9 2012 2:10 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

Ok, DH and I share animal responsibilities, he also makes sure I wake to the aroma of coffee, makes the bed, takes out compost, trash, vaccumes mid-week & PRN, helps quite a bit with laundry.  GD has quite a few chores, and they both clean up the kitchen after dinner and next morning.  I MUST HAVE A CLEAN KITCHEN, AND NO FURTHER COOKING TAKES PLACE UNTIL MY CRITERIA IS MET, ie, there is an area for coats, hats, backpacks, do not put them on the table!   Dishwasher must be unloaded (as I clean up as I go which saves them work).  Stainless is to be shined at all times, counters clean, etc.   

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Jan 9 2012 5:05 PM In reply to

• MarthaMFI
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 16 2008
    • New Westminster, BC, Canada
    • Posts 10,850

mmm  basically I do the majority of it since I only work pt...dh will help and the kids only if asked...they know they have to do things just getting it done is another story. 

dh is in charge of lawnwork to a certain amount, cleaning the parrot cage, trash and cleaning up the kids puke.  feeding animals in the morning is who ever gets up first. 

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 5:57 AM In reply to

Grame, you the boss for sure! for sure! What ages are the kids/teens? over there? how many? I read this post and am reminded of white glove checks... lol... I must agree about dishes being done before cooking starts. Maybe it's a bit of an ocd thing with me but I can't stand to see them in there if I need to start a new clean space cooking project. Dishes get done directly after usage and I hand wash. I have a dishwasher that sits pretty and holds excess dishes/etc. but I never use it. I prefer hand washing and creepy as it sounds get great joy in scrubbing things clean.

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 8:24 AM In reply to

DH helps with laundry and general cleaning (when I let him know what needs to be done) and he's pretty much in charge of pet care -- feeding, putting outside/bringing inside, cleaning litter boxes, etc.  He's the parent at home so he sees that DD gets off to school each day, has breakfast, has a lunch, etc. and then makes sure she does her homework and chores each afternoon.

I take care of 90% of the kitchen duties -- cleaning, cooking, dishes, etc.  I also do laundry (with DH's help as needed) and all vacuuming and most of the bathroom cleaning.  B/c I'm the only driver, I run all the errands so I make sure to pick our mail up weekly from the post office, take recycling to the in-town bin, go to the bank, handle the grocery shopping, pick up prescriptions, make dr's appts & take everyone to them.

DD is responsible for 1 chore and 1 specific area ("zone") of her bedroom each day.  Her chores include dusting, putting her laundry in the laundry room (sorted into darks, lights, undies/socks), emptying all trashcans twice a week and making sure the bins are moved up to the street on Wednesdays for a Thursday a.m. pick up, and thoroughly cleaning the bathroom sink & counter once a week.  For each zone of her bedroom she has to take everything off the furniture, clean it, and put everything back or put it where it belongs.  By having it in zones, her chores only take about 30 minutes a day, often only 20.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Tue, Jan 10 2012 9:46 AM In reply to

Inside the house, if it gets done, I'm the one to do it.  DH pays someone to mow & rake the yard. Vehicles are taken through the drive-through car wash & taken to someone for oil changes & tire rotations.  FIL comes up in the spring & chops wood for our woodstove & we all stack it.  (I don't trust DH with power tools anyway!)  My thoughts are, if you want something done bad enough, you'll do it yourself. 

DH does take the trash to the convenience center after I bag it up. Occasionally DH will vaccum, do a load of laundry, or make the bed, as he did yesterday when he took 1/2 day off work after a doctor's appointment. I have been hinting lately that I'm waiting for my maid &/or chef to show up so I can fire them.  Maybe that's why he's doing a little bit?  DD is 6 & I know she could probably do more to help than she does, but I've just not shown her much.  She loves to Swiffer the floors & while she doesn't do the best job, I'll take all the help I can get. 

• Tue, Jan 10 2012 10:02 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

BargainBinge:
    What ages are the kids/teens? over there? how many?
      I am raising my nine (almost 10) year old granddaughter.  

Page 1 of 3 (28 items) 1 2 3 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us