Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Storing Bulk Food

Last post Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:45 AM by BargainBinge. 21 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 10:24 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Storing Bulk Food

Bulk foods can save money, even if it's only in fewer trips or resisting the temptations of extras in each trip. Storing foods in bulk amounts can be a challenge in modern homes.

Where do you store the food you buy in large quantity?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Jan 4 2012 10:29 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

Re: Storing Bulk Food

THis past year, I invested in some 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids. So far, I have filled one with rice, one with sugar. I hope to fill more this year. I have a space on a wall in DH home office that he built shelves for food storage. If I didnt have that I would use the bottom of the closets. I have stored under the beds too. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 4:18 PM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

Over the last few years, I've made a concerted effort to can more foods including meat, soups and other ready to heat meals.  I've taught myself how to dry can and have preserved flour, rice and nuts with this method.  I bake and freeze many kinds of breads and cookies plus other bakery items that I make in bulk.  I also dry fruits/veges/jerky/etc.  I watch the grocery sales/mark-downs.  For example, the store just had a sale on celery for $.79/ea.  I bought ten and dried all but a couple stalks. 
    Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:00 PM In reply to

I don't buy things in truly large quantities - as a single person, it would just take too long to use it.  However, I do buy in bulk for things like rice and quinoa, which I store in gallon canning jars.
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 10:10 PM In reply to

Karen K, by the sounds of all your posts about food stock pile and preserving it sounds like you are running a meat market and grocery store over there 24-7... never an old mother hubbard empty cubbert moment kind of impression I am given. It makes me wonder if you ever need to even grocery shop other than fresh fruit, veggies and staples. I would be curious to know how often you need to grocery shop with your full loaded stockpile and if you work on using up all you have in the stockpile before buying items to replace in the stockpile?? I always wondered because sometimes you write about a good sale on a meat you got but already have in stockpile? Why buy more if already on hand? or how does that work over there??? I know you got it all worked out.

I am thinking I could come over and eat the next few years of my life over there without you going bare LOL Ps Hope Santa had a lovely return home. You must be pumped!

CLEAN UP ON AISLE 12... WHOOPS, SORRY GOT INTO THOSE ONION BUNS

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • Thu, Jan 5 2012 8:15 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

babs:
    I have a space on a wall in DH home office that he built shelves for food storage

I want to tackle the office closets in the next couple of weeks. I'd like to organise them where one can be used to store some food.

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 9:33 AM In reply to

• Karen K
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 24 2009
    • New York Mills, MN
    • Posts 1,327

BargainBinge:
    never an old mother hubbard empty cubbert moment kind of impression I am given. It makes me wonder if you ever need to even grocery shop other than fresh fruit, veggies and staples. I would be curious to know how often you need to grocery shop with your full loaded stockpile and if you work on using up all you have in the stockpile before buying items to replace in the stockpile??

bb, you're right to say the only thing I "need" to shop for is fresh veges/fruit and dairy.  But I have a small stockpile of that as well.  i.e. butter and other baking items were on sale over the holiday season.  1lb of butter for $1.99 is a really good price here but the store coupon had a limit of two at that price.  Well, my dd#2 happens to work at the grocery store.  She was buying butter for me every day that week.  Couple times a year the stores have milk at bogo.  We drink whatever we can before the milk starts to go sour and I freeze the rest of it to use for baking and such. 

I haven't bought meat at the store for years.  We buy whole cow/hog/etc. straight from local farmers.  Healthier meat at greater savings than a grocery store.  Last year 25/lb bags of flour were on sale for $6.00/ea. but the coupon was a limit of one bag.  I asked the store manager if I could buy 15 bags at the coupon price, of course he said yes because they know I will continue to shop and spend money at their store.  I came back a couple days later and they had it all ready for me.  I have received similar deals with rice and other grains.  We also garden and can/freeze/dry as much as I am able.

I would love-love-love! to be an extreme couponer but that is just not possible in the rural area that I live in.  But I do watch weekly coupon ads and stock up when I can for a decent price. 

Karen K

http://www.sugarcreekwoodworking.com
    http://www.asimplepinebox.com
  • Thu, Jan 5 2012 9:42 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

BargainBinge:
    never an old mother hubbard empty cubbert moment kind of impression I am given

I think that's the best way to be. We don't need to overstock on food and certainly not to where we lose anything but if a hard time with work comes, unemployment, illness or other short term life demand then it's easier to make it through when expense for food and time for shopping trips is not necessary.

This is my best defense against my husband having long worked in a field where work is up and down and having a life of too frequent unemployment.

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 9:43 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Now I just have to figure out how I want to store the things I want to put in the closet I will be cleaning out.

• Thu, Jan 5 2012 10:24 AM In reply to

• babs
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 2 2007
    • Vermont
    • Posts 10,988

BB, I look at Joseph in Egypt storing up the excess for the time of famine. That is why I have food storage, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 3 (22 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us