Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Blasting the debt DRAGON 2012!

Last post 07-07-2013 1:16 AM by sunflower nice. 225 replies.
Page 1 of 23 (226 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2011 9:09 PM

Blasting the debt DRAGON 2012!

I know it is not 2012 yet, but let's buy presents and make our last payments to charities and retirement funds with getting that ol' dragon in mind.  If we can do anything now to get a bigger tax return, or use up flex spending so we don't have to start using that money at the start of next year, or trying to pay January mortgage a week early, so that interest can be taken out of that return, it will all help "snowflake" our debt. 

I'm going to take the snowflake approach, that any dollar put to debt will help decrease it and get it down eventually, and every dollar paid off is a dollar NOT charging interest.

The other way I am blasting debt in 2012 is by enjoying and planning my recreation dollars.  The money I spent last year on a vacation is some of the best money I have ever spent.  Taking 7 kids to the ocean, 6 for the first time, and all for the first time in DC was heavenly.  All for under $40 day per person. I am hoping to do some more special things this year, by really budgeting and saving for those great times.  I have no debt from vacation last year, it worked out well.

Starting the year with about $18K in credit card debt. Coming at yay, yay old dragon.

• 12-12-2011 9:31 PM In reply to

Re: Blasting the debt DRAGON 2012!

Proud of you Tracy! After we get moved we can start paying down what our building fund hasn't covered so far. But instead of a mortgage, we'll have some home improvement cards.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• 12-12-2011 11:50 PM In reply to

Woohoo, Tracy!

Refinanced, so didn't have a house payment this month - paid off the tires I had to buy for the car, put the refund from the escrow account in savings (yay!) against future need, so will be starting off the year with only the mortgage and car payment.  Assuming I can continue that way, the car will be paid off in 2 years, then I can roll the money into the mortgage; at that rate, it will be paid off in 8 years.  That's the plan, anyway; life has been known to get in the way of such plans.

• 12-13-2011 12:31 AM In reply to

Well gott a 30 odd 6 at the house I target practice with mom dad and cindy so we all can kill that dragon the dragon will have his fire put out for sure.

chrissanne
  • 01-02-2012 4:55 AM In reply to

We are starting the year with $61920 in debt. Number sounds scary, but we can do this. This number will go down almost $1000 with the regular payments, so it looks worse than it is to an extent. Just gotta hide the steroids from that dragon!
    Lynn

• 01-02-2012 10:12 PM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

We are starting the year with $1,200 in debt for work supplies and parts for my husband's truck. We tried to manage with only cash but some had to be charged.

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 01-02-2012 10:22 PM In reply to

swedluv:
    We are starting the year with $61920 in debt. Number sounds scary, but we can do this. This number will go down almost $1000 with the regular payments, so it looks worse than it is to an extent. Just gotta hide the steroids from that dragon!

Yes it does sound very scary swedluv but kill the dragon when you get the chance can I watch...Wink

I may not be in dept but there is a bad habbit I need to quit again meaning off the cancer sticks or coffin nails since being stress out I used it for a losey crutch I rather smoke then drink so now since things are slowing down but still on edge brother sees the heart doc at the end of the week and I have to make an appointment to get chantex to help get me off those things then back on track to save more money.

• 01-02-2012 11:02 PM In reply to

CC, getting rid of cigarettes will save you lots of money and more importantly YOUR HEALTH!  Way to go. 

My year started with a boost, I have made twelve mortgage payments while on the home made affordable program, so I got a $1000 payment made to my principal.  This was a great psychological boost, when I needed it the most. 

I have to add up my debt numbers this week. Yuck.

I am very happy with my small and spread out Christmas budget, there will be no surprises on the credit card for me in January.  The party for 45 people was frugal, the kids gifts were frugal, our local fancy florist ordered too many trees, so when I posted on facebook that I was going to get a tree on the 21st, my friend said, wiat, get a free one tomorrow!  I got a beautiful tree, they must have had 200 trees left at the one store I went to. It was free. For break my main expense was a well worth it trip to Sherlock Holmes 2 with my three oldest when the four little girls were at their dad's. The younger ones are happy playing with toys, going to the global market and getting eggrolls-which we all did on the 23rd, and doing some crafts.  The holiday break flew by, the high schoolers go back tomorrow, and the others the next day.

Getting my school books tomorrow for half price, from my friend Andrew.

Saving money, it seems dollar by dollar, slow and steady as I can.

• 01-03-2012 2:17 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

tracyinmn:
    CC, getting rid of cigarettes will save you lots of money and more importantly YOUR HEALTH! 

Cheapchick, 

I feel your pain!  Seems like everytime I can see a life with out smokes, life gets in the way.  Anyway, if there are others that would like to quit, can we maybe start a support thread.  You know, where we can over react, and other smokers will know why we are so ornery?  Anybody???

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 01-03-2012 2:40 PM In reply to

Made the last payment on my braces today!! Should get them off in March!!

Page 1 of 23 (226 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us