Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Gift Baskets

Last post 08-29-2012 12:36 PM by babs. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-11-2011 2:45 AM

Gift Baskets

Oh the joys of homemade gift baskets! Not only are they very special and intimate to make but also wonderful to give or receive. The beauty of homemade gift baskets is everything you put in it has a special meaning and purpose! You can personaliza them for each individual. They are super fun to make too!

What are your favorite gift baskets to make? favorite things to include in them? frugal ways you save? favorite places to get supplies?

and on the receiving end: what's the best gift basket you ever received and why? Share some gift basket love!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 12-11-2011 2:56 AM In reply to

Re: Gift Baskets

My favorite gift baskets to make are "pamper me" ones. I love collecting bath and beyond products, candles, relaxation things, etc. and putting together a nice basket. I like to save/recycle baskets or find them free or at thrift and dollar stores. I also find a lot of supplies there to put in the baskets. You can find everything to bath products and cleaning sponges/clothes and loofahs, nail and foot care, beauty care, candles, sometimes relaxation cds, little massagers, fun eye masks, tea bags,  - the works... yay for the dollar stores!!! Sometimes I have things are my house that I'm not using/have not been used that I can throw in the basket too. There are also many great bath and beauty kind of goodies you can make at home and jar or package up yourself for pamper baskets.

The best baskets I have received have always been from my Mom. My favorite has to be the feet pampering ones.There is always fun treats for the feet in them!

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." ~Chinese Proverb~
  • 12-13-2011 7:03 PM In reply to

One year, we recieved a beautiful, huge basket with homemade goodies and a Yankee Candle, one of the large ones. We really enjoyed everything in it. Then at the bottom, there was a gift certificate to a local deli. Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 12-13-2011 8:37 PM In reply to

What a beautiful basket Babs! Ps those Yankee candles are the best smelling ever.

• 12-16-2011 3:45 AM In reply to

My favorite baskets to make are movie baskets. I usually find out if the person has seen the dvd? By asking them. My hubby the other day asked all his co-workers have you seen, "The usuall suspects?" Have you seen "Heat?" Have you seen, "Crash" and there ws always someone who didnt see one of them, and he would write it down, and he bought all the dvds on special for black friday online, so now i need to wrap them up in a gift basket with their favorite candy, soda, popcorn, chips etc. most items you can get at the dollar store. you can also use other items instead of a basket like a bowl for the popcorn.  I usually run paper thru my shredder to make padding or the bottom of the basket, and will use ribbon to tie it off, and get a dry cleaning plastic bag from out of the closet, take it off of the hanger, and the part that has a hole for the hanger goes on the bottom of the basket, then I bunch it up over the dvd, candy, soda, etc. and leave a little access, and cut the top, making it so you can see thru the basketIt's usually a hit. This year there are dvds on sale for $3 at big lots, $5 bin at walmart, and you can usually find good titles for teens too, comedies etc. and I got dvds for $2 on Black Friday, you just have to shop around. Also these are great for the teens BOY or GIRL that are hard to shop for too!

• 08-27-2012 3:36 AM In reply to

These information can surely help me out in my future adventure when it comes to gift giving. Nice post, I really appreciate it
  • 08-27-2012 5:07 PM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 02-22-2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

This is one of my favorite things to put together and give. I get most of my baskets at rummage sales and fill with all kinds of things depending on the occasion or season. Soon gardening hand tools and garden gloves will be on clearance and those along with some heirloom seed packages are a great housewarming gift. For a sick friend, some soups, 7-up and a good book. If family or friends have a new baby, the older kids get a little basket with some goodies too.

At Christmas, baskets are more elaborate of full of things, depending on the individual.  The idea posted above are great for teens too.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • 08-27-2012 5:56 PM In reply to

I love to give them! I made some at Christmas with a mix-in-a-jar, a loaf of HM banana nut bread, and one other thing I can't recall right now.... I also make them for my nieces from time to time with art supplies (crayons, glue sticks, construction paper or coloring books, funky pens or pencils) and I score those items from back-to-school sales and clearance aisles. I've done movie baskets with a DVD or two ($5 each), some popcorn or party mix, a package of candy, sometimes a pop. I made one for my parents once that looked like twice what I actually spent. Also for little girls (I have several little girls in my life) are mini-care kits with mani-pedi items, lotion, hair clips, travel brush, chapstick, etc. I also will buy clearance kits from the holidays and save them for b-day parties. Not homemade but a very inexpensive gift and I pair it with an XL chocolate bar or hair clips. DD usually decides. For teachers I do usuable items -- pencils, erasers, red pens, stickers, maybe a GC for a coffee. They pay for so much themselves, it's nice to help them out. As for getting them... No thanks. LOL. I've hit a point where I'm happy to receive exactly what I ask for and nothing more (and I ask for very little).
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 08-28-2012 9:41 AM In reply to

It was really a "gift basket" but it was my favorite thing that I got when we married: a large garbage can filled with a kitchen rug, plug-in air freshener, & cleaning supplies. We also got a small garbage can filled with bathroom cleaning supplies.  I loved them!  I've seen a basket that has spaghetti, a jar of sauce, tongs, strainer, kitchen towels & pot holder in them.  Very cute & practical.  You could also do a casserole dish with dry ingredients & recipe in it.
  • 08-29-2012 12:36 PM In reply to

If you have free or old baskets, you can spray paint them to go with the theme of the basket. Red or green for Christmas, pastel colors for Spring/Easter, a color to match a kitchen or bathroom, Babs
    Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us