Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Room Conversions

Last post Fri, Dec 9 2011 12:11 AM by karenteacher. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 7 2011 1:14 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Room Conversions

If you have spaces like garages or workshops, sometimes they can be converted into additional living space.

Has anyone ever converted a garage into a heated and cooled room?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 2:22 PM In reply to

Re: Room Conversions

My mother converted a carport into a family room. It was one of the smartest things she ever did to her house.

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 3:02 PM In reply to

It appears at our current house that is what the previous owners did. A one-stall garage was converted into a family room off the kitchen. We love having this small family room off our kitchen as this is the hub of our home. It's cozy (and narrow) but large enough for a smaller sofa, tv and two small side chairs. The only drawback is that you have to step down from the kitchen into this space. But not a huge issue.

It is fully heated and cooled and 100% finished. Where the garage door once was are now 2 windows. The exterior of our house is painted brick so the exterior looks like it always has been a room as the previous owners bricked in the opening under and above the windows (and then painted to match the rest of the house). Bushes were planted and the driveway (my guess) was torn up and grass planted.

This space is one of the things that made the house desirable for our family. The "formal" living room, while larger, is in the front of the house, away from the kitchen. I enjoy the "homier" feel of having this space off the kitchen.

Erika
  • Thu, Dec 8 2011 8:21 AM In reply to

A porch on our house was converted a sun room / living room that is heated and cooled and has thermal curtains on the windows.  We spend a lot of time in this room most of the year except on sunny afternoons in the summer b/c it gets too warm in there.  Our garage has a whole extra space that my MIL used for her shop, but we have no idea what to do with it.  It's completely seperate from the house and it's not heated or a/c'ed and we don't have a few thousand $ lying around to do anything with it.  I *think* it could be converted to a small efficiency apartment though if we did have the money, etc. to do that.
    Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Thu, Dec 8 2011 7:22 PM In reply to

My uncle did an excellent garage conversion.  He made a family/tv room out of a 1 car garage that was only used to store junk.  The "garage door" area faces west and has large picture windows.  He finished the walls with paneling (it was the 1980s) and did a good ceiling with storage space above.  Added a wood stove so they wouldn't need to put heat ducting under the cement floor or through the old limestone wall of the house (that wall was part of an original limestone cabin built in the 1800s) which is about 2feet thick.  The room is still the most used room in the house and leaves the old living room area for quiet chatting, playing with the grandkids and other activities where one does not want to have to talk over the TV.

My grampa used old phone poles (including creosote...) to build a "porch" as far as the county permitting agency knew, but then walled it in and sealed it up and it became the living/dining room attached to Gram and Gramp's old 9X42 foot trailer.  That trailer was cramped!  Until they put on this giant room.  It did stink a bit of creosote for the first few summers when it got hot, but it never got termites.

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 8:10 PM In reply to

Zip it! don't know what so say here...lol

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 11:31 PM In reply to

Hm would like that but I can wait until I have enough saved to get my own home away from tacoma and have a bigger town house where I can build inside by knocking down a wall and make a bigger kitchen that would be nice to have a table in it and a nice little dinner room nothing to big just a nice place to move abit more then my home right now.

chrissanne
  • Fri, Dec 9 2011 12:11 AM In reply to

My grandfather converted the original garage on his house into a family room, and then built a 2-car garage connected to the house by a breezeway.  He also closed in the utility closet and turned it into a second bathroom, a half bath with a toilet and sink as well as the water heater - cramped, but needed in a 3-bedroom house with 1 bathroom on the other end of the house.  He also closed in an adjacent area which became the pantry; the kitchen in that house was tiny, with very little storage space.  Like Maggie's, it was lower than the rest of the house - there were three steps down from the level of the rest of the house - which was more of a problem in flood season, as the family room was low enough to flood, where the rest of the house was not.  The family room was ducted when it was enclosed, and Grampa also built an indoor/outdoor fireplace - open to the breezeway on one side and the family room on the other.  It was a great room.

I don't have any idea what the time or cost was as Grampa did this well before I was born - he and Grandma bought that house in 1950, and Grampa lived there until 2000, when he was 89.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us