Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Heartburn Remedies (Homemade, not medicine)

Last post Tue, May 7 2013 1:44 PM by map578. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:42 PM

• Juana
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Sat, Aug 13 2011
    • Cincinnati
    • Posts 180

Ick! [+o(] Heartburn Remedies (Homemade, not medicine)

I'm looking for any natural, homemade, or frugal heartburn remedies.

I gave myself an ulcer a couple of years ago from a combination of stress and bad eating, and ever since then I sometimes get stomach inflammation that gives me heartburn. I know my food triggers (high fructose corn syrup and full fat dairy), but even though I've cut those from my diet I still get heartburn occasionally. The doctor recommends Prilosec (Omeprazole) and I can usually get a good deal on it at CVS and with free samples, but even with the deals that stuff is expensive!

Does anyone have homemade remedies for heartburn? I know Tums are mostly baking soda, I wonder if I could make my own little pellets out of baking soda and flavoring?

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 12:46 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 4 2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,932

Re: Heartburn Remedies (Homemade, not medicine)

At various times, I have read these tips:

don't eat a big meal before bedtime

sleep with your upper body elevated

drink some baking soda/warm water solution to help you burp

try eating some peppermint candy after eating

use ginger to prevent/relieve indigestion

lose weight

I buy OTC "heartburn reliever" or similar product from the dollar store.  It works quite well, especially if taken before eating.  

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• Wed, Dec 7 2011 8:01 PM In reply to

there are instructions on the side of my baking soda box about how to put a bit in water and drink it.    I have good luck with peppermint tea and chamomile tea for minor heart burn.  I drink it tepid rather than hot. 

You have my sympathy!  I had an ulcer back in the day and it was a bummer. 

• Thu, Dec 8 2011 1:34 PM In reply to

I used to suffer from terrible heartburn and acid reflux.  I started drinking Kombucha tea and found that it helped. I then, bought a Kumbucha culture and started brewing my own tea.  I drank it  regularly for several months and my heartburn and acid reflux completely disappeared.

You can find out more about this amazing drink here:

http://users.bestweb.net/~om/~kombu/FAQ/part01g.html#BM71 

I can't say that this will work for everyone, but it did wonders for me. I no longer drink or brew the tea and can eat or drink anything without any negative effects.

• Sat, Jun 2 2012 5:36 PM In reply to

• JWell
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 2 2012
    • Posts 1

I would add the following no-cost natural cures for heartburn:

- eat stomach friendly food. It doesn't have to be expensive, just smooth for your stomach (not hot, spicy, fat, sweet, etc.),

- don't eat too late. Dinner before 6 PM, after that only drink water or tea (without sugar),

- when having heartburn suck on ice.

-------------------------------
    James Wellburne
    Cures for Heartburn
    Filed under:
  • Sat, Jun 2 2012 7:14 PM In reply to

I have a friend that swears by a teaspoon of baking soda.

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Sat, Jun 2 2012 9:49 PM In reply to

water 1/8 of a tsp. of arm and hammer baking soda stir in the glass of water and drink it while its still active I do that I learned this from the side of the box so I hereya cinamon.

chrissanne
  • Sat, Jun 2 2012 9:54 PM In reply to

Chewable papaya enzymes that you can get in the vitamin section of most stores are what my midwife recommended when I had horrible heartburn while pregnant. The amount they recommend on the side of the bottle aren't enough -- chew up 10+ of the tablets. It won't hurt you, and they're really tasty!

She also recommended taking a handful of raw cashews when heartburn hits and chewing them up into a paste.

Mama to a teen and a preschooler KINDERGARTENER!! -- oh, the fun! Also co-parenting 3 other awesome kids. :)
  • Mon, Jun 4 2012 9:59 AM In reply to

Cashews..really?!

Cool...I have natural Cashew butter instead of peanut butter that I use on toast. Didnt know I could use it for heartburn!Smile

Michelle in Northern Michigan

"Those who would surrender liberty for security deserve neither" - Ben Franklin

• Wed, Jun 13 2012 5:15 PM In reply to

hi Juana,

A friend of ours is a family practitioner and she once told us the only completely trustworthy sites on the internet for medical info were mayo clinic, nih.gov and cleveland clinic. I looked up heartburn on mayo clinic's website for you:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/heartburn-gerd/DS00095/DSECTION=lifestyle-and-home-remedies

If it were me, I'd write down their list of trigger foods and recommendations. I copied that link mid-way through the article, if you go back to page one, you'll see more foods that can trigger it.

Hope you feel better soon!

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us