Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Redecorating Children's Rooms

Last post 10-02-2012 6:52 AM by JerryAtrick. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-04-2011 3:19 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Redecorating Children's Rooms

How often have you painted, decorated and redone you children's bedroom colors/themes and bedsets?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 12-29-2011 6:49 AM In reply to

• MichelleJones
    • Not Ranked
      Female
    • Joined on 12-29-2011
    • 27 Logan Cir NW, Washington, DC 20005
    • Posts 1

Re: Redecorating Children's Rooms

My son is just 6 and in these 6 years, i have painted his bedroom once, but use to change the bedsets every 5 to 6 days. We use to decorate his room on his birthday and christmas.

• 12-29-2011 9:54 AM In reply to

We've lived in our current house for 3 1/2 years. We are painting the last child's room right now. And that should be good for....the next 20 years, LOL.  

DD, age 22 months, had her room painted before she was born. It's a neutral color so we can accessorize with colors she likes for bedding/curtains. I have 3 quilts made by my grandma (her namesake, Sara) and hope she wants to use them. All 3 have different shades of pink.

Oldest son, age 7, had his room painted last year. A darker blue/gray that should age well. He has a Star Wars theme and just got a new comforter for Christmas. DH had old framed Star Wars posters from his childhood so he gave those to DS.

Middle son, age 5, just had his room painted...last week, LOL. We've been working on it for almost a month. It's a brighter blue, more of a royal blue, which should also last for many years. He also got a new Star Wars comforter for Christmas but has 2 framed superhero posters (found at a garage sale for 50 cents each!!!). So he has Spiderman, Batman and StarWars all in his room.

As the kids age out of "themes" I can easily replace with plain bedding and put other pictures or posters on the walls. I have the frames and posters are cheap so an easy update. Painting is pretty inexpensive but time-consuming so I hope we are set for many years. I have nice wooden blinds so no other window treatments which keeps things simple.

Erika
  • 12-29-2011 10:53 AM In reply to

DD is six & we probably got her comforter set when she was three.  The walls were painted before she was born & I noticed they need a good scrubbing around her bed. The wall decor has been the same for six years, just used the same colors for nursery & her first comforter set.  The comforter set she has now is a bit faded, but it doesn't bother me! We are going through her room a little at a time, going through all toys & books to sort things out.  I dread it, but we need to rearrange the furniture in there for maximum air flow, since her room is in the corner of the basement & the corners of the room sometimes get damp, causing mold & mildew.  She sleeps with us most of the time & plays in the living room, so she's hardly ever in her room!

• 01-12-2012 4:09 PM In reply to

5 years should be enough, I think. As long as the decor is not too age specific - more general - 5 years is a good enough time for them to get a new decor. The trick in decorating kids rooms is to always paint the walls in a neutral colour and use borders that are targeted for a slightly older child to allow for them to grow into it, then out of it. The beauty of this is that you can always paint the borders (if you have them) once they've grown out of them. Let your accessories be specific because these can easily be changed. Sheets, cushions, pictures etc can be changed every 2 to 3 years. Storage never has to be age-specific. They could just be a little fancier than the adult storage and paintable. Don't forget that you can repaint and re-stencil furniture for years before the kids realise they aren't new. Save your money for books, clothes and toys. :-) Rooms can wait. Hope this helps. I run an interior decorating blog and welcome any questions you have. Let me know how I can help.
    Anne's the author of How To Spend Less and How to Teach Kids to Be Responsible Adults. She blogs on http://getconfidence.net and http:ourdiyprojects.net
    Filed under:
  • 02-02-2012 12:01 AM In reply to

Kids want changes in everything so their rooms also should want some change often. Painting walls in different colors so that they love to be their always.

• 02-02-2012 12:30 AM In reply to

My daughter was 21 when she moved out and we changed the paint color 3 times while she lived at home. I can't remember how many comforter colors and throw pillow changes we made. My son is 19 and he has had 2 paint color changes and he is happy with white walls. He doesn't like to change things very often. I am going to start looking for a new comforter for his bed cause the current one has a hole.
    Riley
  • 02-02-2012 8:17 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

reinasli:
    so their rooms also should want some change often

We love to have new members but please be aware that our community is to discuss frugal living and how to live well with less spending.

Please join us in all the great discussions we have on dollar stretching.

• 02-02-2012 8:26 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Posts 25,145

Anne Lyken-Garner:
    5 years should be enough

I think your year range sounds good.

My little one is eight now, she has had the same tastes and themes since she was a baby. I began it with pink floral and princess things and she loves it for herself. All I have had to do was make the adjustments from baby bed to toddler to big girl bedding and switch out a few things in the room.

Less Disney princess pictures on the wall now and the princess foam hangings of crowns are gone. I imagine I may have to rethink furniture before too long since her kitchen playset, little kid's table and baby doll nursery may need to be packed up in the next two years.

• 02-06-2012 2:22 AM In reply to

Hi

Better you can paint with some cartoons in your children's room wall. That will be a different decorations to your child room. Than you for sharing and LOL

Filed under:
Page 1 of 3 (21 items) 1 2 3 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us