Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

The Dollar Stretcher Community has a new home!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

Please contact Brandy@stretcher.com for questions about these forums.

Parenting in a Hard Economy

Last post Tue, Dec 6 2011 11:20 AM by Brandy. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 2:39 PM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 28 2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Parenting in a Hard Economy

Longer hours at the first job, taking a second job and perhaps even for less pay with both can be an obstacle to parenting. Even if we have to work harder to make ends meet, we have to be there for our children.

In what ways do you make quality time for your family?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• Wed, Nov 30 2011 3:14 PM In reply to

Re: Parenting in a Hard Economy

Make each moment that you do have with your kids, really really good moments, make them the best moments ever.   Tell them that you wish you could work less, but there seems to be no option, let them know of your ever enduring love for them!
    My seller name on Ebay is mennonitemom, check out my items
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 8:49 PM In reply to

Brandy:

Longer hours at the first job, taking a second job and perhaps even for less pay with both can be an obstacle to parenting. Even if we have to work harder to make ends meet, we have to be there for our children.

In what ways do you make quality time for your family?

Good quiality parent hang the kid on a hook for up to on how long it takes from first job to the secound then back from the bathroom trip hang the kid on the hook again until its in the middle of the night put it to bed until next morning there parent cure all.

No really I did the obstacal work and taking care of two familys getting yelled at by one then turn around at night nothing cooked getting yelled at again from all agnles really there must be a line drawn some where Im not kidding this part iis hard work on both the kid and the parent if the child is not mature enough then have a person check on them or have them go to a church thing make them learn to baby sit and see what it is like to balance home life and work life its to hard and hats off to the parents.

• Sat, Dec 3 2011 10:53 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

My husband is self employed and will take the kids when he goes into the office or to get supplies sometimes. This gives him extra time with them since they talk while driving and my little one loves the outing.

• Sat, Dec 3 2011 9:08 PM In reply to

We try to eat dinner together more nights than not and after dinner we like to play board & card games.  With longer card games we will play just 3 rounds (each person dealing once) and then save it for the next time we play.  If we eat dinner together 5 nights a week, usually there's a spare 20-30 minutes at least 3 nights.  It's something we all look forward to.  One night a week when we eat together we usually watch a family friendly t.v. show or movie; right now we're doing holiday stuff.  With my work schedule I can't always be home to put dinner on the table and I don't want DD & DH waiting on me to eat, so on those nights or just a night when we want some "space" we'll eat separately and we eat leftovers so everyone's getting something they enjoy.

DD & I are slowly but surely working our way through the Harry Potter series with me reading out loud.  I don't read much to her anymore since she easily reads and comprehends on her own.  A couple of times she's wanted to move forward on her own with the series, but I've insisted we do it together and after each chapter she'll tell me how much she loves that I read it to her.  *makes my heart melt a little!*

I also coach her soccer team and the last 2 years she's played both spring and fall seasons; this brings a different aspect into our relationship b/c I have to treat all the kids fairly and can't let her be "it" or be first in each game.  I think it's a good lesson for her to learn.

The biggest challenge I face is not being like the other parents in terms of stuff.  DH & I have fully agreed that we don't want DD to have a handheld video game (like a nintendo ds) until she's older.  (She's 7 now; by older we mean 11 or 12.)  Many of her friends do have them.  We also don't buy her a lot of stuff where I know many parents will by a little something here and there occassionally -- a zhu zhu pet; a new barbie; a new game for a video game system.  I know she sees the differences b/c she's commented once in a while, but so far it's not been too big of deal.  I can see where it might become a bigger deal, but I'm hoping that our doing stuff together will make a more lasting impression than a bunch of new toys.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 9:51 AM In reply to

• grame
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 22 2011
    • Kingdom of Callaway
    • Posts 1,950

sunshinetreva:
    I'm hoping that our doing stuff together will make a more lasting impression than a bunch of new toys.

It will.  My girls don't remember the toys/stuff (wasn't much because we were poor), but they do still talk about walking to the park a few times a week and our picnics (usually pb&j, with commodity peanut butter), or making cookies (to poor for store bought, again commodity flour).  Those are the memories they will cherish.

I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand. ~Susan B. Anthony
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 10:22 AM In reply to

I agree with a PP about telling your children how much you love them and that you wish you could spend more time together (especially if both parents work outside the home). I have flexed my schedule in addition to cutting my in-office work hours so that I can be home 2 afternoons a week and be able to pick up my oldest son from school 3 days a week. It may mean doing office work from home at 9:00 at night (when the kids are in bed) but for me, that is a good trade off while they are young. My mom worked (teacher) but it was the after-school hours that I remember her being home with me that I cherished.

We do eat together as a family almost every single night. I plan our meals around activities so that we can find the time to do this. On the weekend, we eat breakfast together and often both lunches. We reserve one night on the weekend as family movie or game night and stay home. The other night is usually a family outing or a date night for DH and me (which all parents need IMHO, even if it's just alone time after the kids are in bed).

DH and I are trying to give the kids experiences rather than "things." So we buy a zoo and children's museum pass and a swimming pass. This way, we have pre-paid family activities that we can enjoy together and it gives us physical activity as well.

My husband, who is a teacher, takes my oldest with him when he needs to work in his classroom on the weekends. They get some time together and I get some time with my middle son (baby girl is usually napping). Or it's the reverse and he takes middle son with him and oldest and I get some time together.

DH also left the busy administrative job he had and went back to teaching. It was a 35% cut in pay for us but the time we get with him is priceless. We make it work. And my kids benefit so much from having both mom and dad at home at night and on the weekends.

Erika
  • Mon, Dec 5 2011 12:53 PM In reply to

My DH is having surgery next week, and put in his notice for his part time coaching job.  He's had this pt job for 20 years.  We're all looking forward to having him home with us at night.  My eldest, age 12, is really looking forward to this.

• Tue, Dec 6 2011 11:20 AM In reply to

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Posts 25,145

Striving1:

My DH is having surgery next week, and put in his notice for his part time coaching job.  He's had this pt job for 20 years.  We're all looking forward to having him home with us at night.  My eldest, age 12, is really looking forward to this.

Enjoy your time together.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

The Dollar Stretcher has a new community!

Feel free to read the great frugal living tips, ideas and discussions readers and community members have posted here. But if you'd like to post something or start a discussion, please click here to go over to our new community site and create an account.

About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us