Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Gift Wrap, Gift Boxes, Gift Bags

Last post 12-03-2013 1:51 PM by map578. 68 replies.
Page 1 of 7 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-26-2011 11:49 AM

• Brandy
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-28-2007
    • Saving in South Mississippi
    • Posts 25,145

Gift Wrap, Gift Boxes, Gift Bags

There are several choices for wrapping and presenting gifts.

Which method do you prefer? Is your choice frugal?

The Dollar Stretcher Community Manager

• 11-26-2011 2:14 PM In reply to

• rolo
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Female
    • Joined on 04-04-2007
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,928

Re: Gift Wrap, Gift Boxes, Gift Bags

Past choices:

used the full color retail flyers, with green/red curling ribbon, and a candy cane on gifts

brown craft paper, twine, jingle bell on gifts

after Christmas dollar store paper @ .50 a roll--all gifts in the same paper with white curling ribbon and a pine cone

I use what ever I can find free/least expensive--and use the same theme on every gift.

Lorrie

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." ~~ Dalai Lama XIV -

• 11-27-2011 11:11 AM In reply to

gift bags/boxes lol.I don't like wrapping. I do have gift wrap.   I have some xmas fabric bags too that I reuse.   I may put bows on them but really just put a name tag.

the girl guide rangers are doing gift wrapping at the mall for fundraising so I think I will bring some gifts down there for wrapping.

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Hobbies and Crafts
  • 11-27-2011 12:08 PM In reply to

MarthaMFI:
    really just put a name tag.

Our family re-uses gift bags from year to year.  Several years ago, I realized that if I used the paper punch to put a hole in one of the top corners of the name tag, then cut at an angle in from the edge of the tag to the hole, the name tag would slip onto (and later off of!) the gift bag handles. I bought some nice, heavy-duty name tags on after Christmas clearance, & we have re-used those for several years, too.  The bags & the tags on them look nice, but I see no need to have "new" bags every year.  

One year I went to a home health nursing conference & they passed out grocery-sized, white paper bags with handles, with the company logo on them, to carry our "freebies".  I took mine out ot the car on the first break, and by being attentive, I was able to pick up 4 more empty bags thatothers had discarded.  Iglued a rectangle of Christmas wrap on 2 of them to cover the logo (the small pieces that are leftover), and I also used some fo the 5x7 "demo" cards that come to me in them ail, wanting me to order cards from them.  That year there were some with horses on them,& they looked great on the white bags!  We are still using them, and a few of them work for birthdays as well, if there is no "Christmas" in the horse picture.

I have also used decorative tins multiple times.  Some of the family have indoor pets, & if they are receiving edibles, sometimes the pet can smell that & get into it, so the tins are useful that way.  I use a little tape to secure the lid in at least 2 places to foil any early opening attemps. These have worked well for hand dipped gluten-free pretzels, etc.

I'd rather spend the funds on the gifts themselves than on the wrapping.

• 11-27-2011 12:38 PM In reply to

I reuse bags as much as humanly possible and, of course, the tissue paper used inside them as well.  I have a few rolls of wrapping paper (3, 4? plus some for birthdays) and we do wrap a few square or rectanglar items, but anything with an odd shape gets bagged.  I buy generic bags in solid colors from the dollar store or a big chain store or I'll buy holiday-themed bags on the post-season sales.  Like Martha I love those "shirt boxes"; I've got some that came with a design on them, so I put in the item, pop on the lid and add a little tape to 2 sides.  Goes very quickly overall.

Officially Recognized Stretchpert in the General forum
  • 11-27-2011 2:58 PM In reply to

I use a combination of frugal gift wrapping options:

1. Gift bags and  boxes are saved and re-used.   I seldom buy bags, and if I do, I don't use adhesive tags.
    2. I have made a few fabric bags (remnants, upcycled old clothes etc).  I've also bought fabric wine bags on sale.  Some of the bags have pretty odd dimensions (think mini-keg instead of normal wine bottle)
    3. I've also got MILES of silver paper on a roll end that would have otherwise been discarded by a local specialty printer. It's about 14 or 15 inches wide and not ideally suited to large packages.  I've been wrapping gifts in silver for at least 3 years now, and will probably be doing so for another 3!
    4. For tags, I use card circles in red, blue and silver, another discard from the printer. Punch a hole, decorate with markers etc
    5. Instead of traditional bows and gift embellishment, I tend to go for reusable materials like satin ribbon, artificial poinsettia, inexpensive ball ornaments etc.  Alternatively, I'll use items found natural items - shells, pine cones, twigs etc- free of course

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • 11-27-2011 3:02 PM In reply to

I forgot to mention that the few gift bags that I do buy, are always non seasonal, solid colours so that I can use them for all occasions.  Our local dollar store sells attractive bags of good quality - no expensive gift bags for me!

I also prefer to use solid colors for wrapping - it provides a good background against which I can get creative with the embellishments

Philippians 4:19

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus
  • 11-27-2011 8:13 PM In reply to

I reuse gift boxes, gift bags, ribbons, bows and tissue paper as much as possible.  (I also have a stash of ribbon and bows purchased at after-Christmas sales)  Like Z, I have some plain gift bags that I want to dress up a bit. 

We still have a stash of gift tags ... but I've discovered that there are internet sites that will let you print off gift tags for free. So when I need more, I'll go that route. 

As for paper, I usually buy it after Christmas when I can get it at half price.

• 11-27-2011 10:52 PM In reply to

I purchase fabric all year, mostly from yard sales.  With one yard I can make a pillowcase.  The majority of my presents are given in a pillowcase (2 gifts in one).  I have some gift bags made from Christmas material that is used yearly.  Quilts are always "wrapped" in a black garbage bag, with a big red bow (my garbage sacks come with red ties).  I really dislike wrapping presents so do what i can to get out of it.

• 11-28-2011 2:25 AM In reply to

LWolfT:
    but I've discovered that there are internet sites that will let you print off gift tags for free. So when I need more, I'll go that route. 

Great idea!

Page 1 of 7 (69 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us