Welcome to Dollar Stretcher Community Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Frugal Christmas Decorations.

Last post 12-03-2011 9:38 PM by MarthaMFI. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-30-2007 8:23 AM

Frugal Christmas Decorations.

I made a rag wreath last night and it turned out cute. I am trying very hard to decorate this house for little or next to nothing. The wreath was made out of a coat hanger and lots of cut up fabric strips. It turned out cute, but not quite finished yet. I love snowmen decorations for Christmas more than I like Santas. I was reading a web page some where on the internet about using scrap blocks of wood to make a primitive snowman and think I will try this one too. We have lots of scraps around here. Closer to Christmas I may go out and clip some greens from the huge pine tree in the front yard to use strategically in the house. I have even considered taking a log from the wood pile and drilling holes in it for candles. So, what do you do?

• 11-30-2007 10:29 AM In reply to

Re: Frugal Christmas Decorations.

kabin:
    I have even considered taking a log from the wood pile and drilling holes in it for candles. So, what do you do?

im on your xmas list right? ehhehehe that sounds way cool to do, i would add in between the holes for the candles, some xmas colored ribbon tied in bows........

im not doing much this year.....lack of interest, lack of care for it, lack of spirtit.........stockings on the walls, pics the kids are doing at school taped in my windows and thats it that i feel like doing this year....next year will be better

• 11-30-2007 11:21 AM In reply to

latte4me2day:

im not doing much this year.....lack of interest, lack of care for it, lack of spirtit.........stockings on the walls, pics the kids are doing at school taped in my windows and thats it that i feel like doing this year....next year will be better

I'm sorry latte. Sounds like me the last couple of years. It was hard to decorate when I had nothing to decorate, but sometimes life just gets us down. Hope you're feeling better soon. 

• 11-30-2007 2:19 PM In reply to

I did a Christmas ornie swap for 3 years with other crafters. I made all of my ornies from recycled/ found objects. Spray Paint pine cones Christmas colors and sprinkle with glitter, top with a bow. Most people have a half empty spray paint can in their house from another project. How about paper chains, pop corn chains, cut out paper snowflakes on the window (we are doing that this weekend as a family project). Wrap up wall art in christmas paper and hang it back on the wall tape a couple of paper snow flakes on it. I use to wrap my whole front door in red foil wrapping paper and add ribbon to make it look like a big package.

Check out a ornament book from the libary or google recyled ornament and lot of selections will pop up.

• 11-30-2007 2:34 PM In reply to

Latte, just remember your kids and do enough for them. It is easy to share our gloom and they need you to make the holiday for them. Remember it all started with a baby being born in the barn with the sheep and goats. Talk about frugal....Mary and Joseph didnt even have a bed to give birth to the baby. He was laid in the feed box...manger--- just a fancy name for a wooden box. Think aobut what she diapered and wrapped him in. Yes later, probably a year, the wise men showed up with gold and fancy spices but not at the start of that families life. So I guess my point for all of us, remember what Christmas really is about and we wont feel nearly so sad. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
  • 11-30-2007 2:37 PM In reply to

babs:
    remember what Christmas really is about and we wont feel nearly so sad.

Very good point Babs! Amen. 

I'm not confused. I'm just well mixed. ~Robert Frost
    Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction. - Anne Frank
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Married my Blessing 10-16-10 :)
    Became an Auntie 12-10-10 :)
  • 11-30-2007 2:38 PM In reply to

Kabin,

One year H made reindeer out of lengths of birch logs. They were very easy to do, just drilled holes into a log w smaller branches for limbs...they make great lawn ornaments.

I've used peeled birch bark from fallen trees on our lot to make ornaments - cut into simple star shapes and dipped in melted parrafin. I used them for gift tags too that year and everyone loved them.

• 11-30-2007 2:39 PM In reply to

• Pat
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-06-2007
    • Colorado
    • Posts 14,459

Great minds run in the same channels, right? :) Yesterday I made a wreath from a coat hanger, too. I used an old green garland and wound it around the hanger, then hot glued some small ornaments I had and a few odds and ends of ribbon. I swiped a red bow from the tree and put on the top. I could put more on, but I was pleased with it, so I stopped for now.

Most of my decorations are those I've had for awhile, but this year I filled a small basket with pinecones and some odds and ends, then cut sprigs from a cedar tree that grows out front to tuck in here and there. It makes a pretty (and free!) accent and it smells good, too.  

Community Facilitator

Printable Coupons!

Smartsource and MySavings
  • 12-01-2007 11:31 PM In reply to

Pat:
    Great minds run in the same channels, right? :)

I agree Pat. I love everybody's ideas. I sure wish we had some birch tree logs handy. I would also like to make a smaller Christmas tree with the bark, just for decoration. Some things have to wait. I checked out a book from the libbrary a couple of years ago called "Trash to Treasure", their Christmas addition. It's full of great ideas, but I don't have many items around. I sent them to recycling. Drat! I am not so great at planning things like this, but I could use some can's to make cookie holders, or make luminaries from them. Guess I will try to get it again.

Thanks again everyone! Keep the ideas coming!

• 12-02-2007 8:11 PM In reply to

I have a backyard full of white birch logs. They are wonderful to start the wood stove. Babs

Officially recognized Stretchpert in Prayer Circle
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
About Us    Privacy Policy    Writers' Guidelines     Sponsorship     Media    Contact Us